Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't believe the media saying you need a perfect score to get a mortgage

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Don't believe the media saying you need a perfect score to get a mortgage

Because I closed today, keys are in hand.  All in the face of companies telling us we'd never get approved and we need to be at least 640 credit score, possibly even higher.  Mortgage people actually turned us away, but I stayed focused and tried the big banks of Wells Fargo and Chase.

A beautiful 2-story home, 2973 sq. ft on a 12,554 sq. ft lot.

Price: $172,000

FHA, 3.5% down

Lowest credit score: 624 with EQ

Interest rate: 3.625%!!!

Household income:  $120k

Lender: Wells Fargo Home Mortgage

Approved with flying colors and no issues in underwriting.

I was for sure something was going to go wrong at the last minute.  But the wife and I just sat in our new home, eating take-out, planning how we are going to decordate and furnish a 3,000 sq. ft. home, when coming from a 700 sq. ft. apartment.

It can be done.  Just got to find the right lender.  And to top it off, I got a ton of credits from the lender and basically what I thought would be about $10k in closing costs and down payment, only came out to $5200 "cash from borrower".  

Life is good. Smiley Tongue

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Blackhawks_girl30
Contributor

Re: Don't believe the media saying you need a perfect score to get a mortgage

Congrats and thank you for sharing your story!  I have been so torn on which lender to use.  I originally wanted to go with Wells Fargo, but have read mostly bad reviews.  Seeing that someone has actually closed wtih them helps me Smiley Happy  Enjoy your new home!!

Message 2 of 5
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

I applied with Wells so hopefully she'll get back to me one day!

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW.....!! Congrats....U have achieved the "Americian Dream..!!"

Message 4 of 5
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Do you have the cash in hand to furnish that McMansion?

My DF and I thought about having a new construction 3011 sq/ft 5/4.5/2 built for $62/sq/ft - until we couldn't figure out how we could afford to furnish it at the same gross income.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.