Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't have all the downpayment

tag
madesomemistakes
Valued Member

Don't have all the downpayment

My hubby and I want to purchase in a new development.  We have about $5000 to put down right now and will have the rest saved in the next four months.  What do we have to put down in order for them to get started on building our house? Does the whole 3.5% have to be put down in the beginning or do we pay this when we pay for our closing costs? We probably will go FHA.
Experian-770 Transunion-780 Equifax-780
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Don't have all the downpayment

If you are short on cash you should consider buying something within USDA (0% down) zone.

The required down payment, binder, deosit will vary by builder and also depens on purchase price somewhere

1% - 3.5%.

One of my friend had to pay 3.5% and had to show the rest of the closing cost on the saving accounts / gift.

Keep in mind to get the credit ($8000) for sure you need to move quick. Try find something that already have at

least building permit.

Laz

Message 2 of 3
tater72
Valued Member

Re: Don't have all the downpayment

I'm guessing this varies from builder to builder but we just signed a contract in a new development and we had to put $1,000 down in earnest money at contract signing and then we have to put another $1,500 down at our design center appointment, which is this week.  

We then did our loan paperwork and a commitment letter was sent to the design center. They are supposed to start on our home 4 - 6 weeks after our design center appointment. The house will more than likely not be finished until March 2010. We aren't required to put down anything else and I'm told we should get this money back at closing.  I guess I should add we are going VA so this might make a difference. I'm not sure though.

Starting Score: 659
Current Score: 686
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.