Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down Payment Assistance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Down Payment Assistance

Hello, 

I live in Fargo, ND (Job in Fargo, ND) and I have been looking at potentially buying a home early 2016.  I would qualify under the FHA loan program but not sure if I would have 3.5% by then.  Wondering if any of you have experience in utilizing downpayment assistance programs?  Looks like both ND and MN have them and since I could live in either Fargo, ND or Moorhead MN, I was thinking about trying to obtain the assistance.  Looks like I qualify under both programs salary minimum reqs ($51k a year).  Fargo has 3% of house or 3k whichevery is greater and I think MN has up to $7.5k assistance can use for closing and or daypayment.  How hard are they to obtain?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Down Payment Assistance

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

I live in Fargo, ND (Job in Fargo, ND) and I have been looking at potentially buying a home early 2016.  I would qualify under the FHA loan program but not sure if I would have 3.5% by then.  Wondering if any of you have experience in utilizing downpayment assistance programs?  Looks like both ND and MN have them and since I could live in either Fargo, ND or Moorhead MN, I was thinking about trying to obtain the assistance.  Looks like I qualify under both programs salary minimum reqs ($51k a year).  Fargo has 3% of house or 3k whichevery is greater and I think MN has up to $7.5k assistance can use for closing and or daypayment.  How hard are they to obtain?  Thanks!

Usually there is a maximum allowed income to qualify for down payment assistance - and that maximum is based on household occupants. Check each of the programs. Also many of the programs have a geographic restriction. In other words, you can only use the funds to purchase a property in a designated area. Again, check the program requirements. Check the city, county and state as each program is different.

https://www.ndhfa.org/Homeownership/Programs.html

Here is the HH income maximums for Moorhead  http://mnhousing.gov/wcs/Satellite?c=Page&cid=1358904965634&pagename=External%2FPage%2FEXTStandardLayout

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing to add, is that in some states there is a set amount budgetted for the program in a given year. That amount can get gobbled up pretty quickly.

Message 3 of 4
Ladybugz
Valued Member

I would also recommend going with a lender who is familiar with DPA programs in your state.  Good luck!

Starting Score 4/10/15: EQ 627; TU 629; EX 666
Current Score 12/1/15: EQ 711; TU 647; EX 650

Mortgage Score 7/9/15:
EQ 694; TU 682; EX 610
Immediate Goal: Mortgage Middle Score: 680

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.