Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down Payment question

tag
nvrgiveup08
Contributor

Down Payment question

I have been looking at a forclosure property that has dropped to $87,800. Dilema is that I only have $4000 in savings. I have already recieved my W-2's and have input the info in Turbo Tax and have gotten the refund amount that will boost my savings to around $10,500. Is it fine to get preapproved now and place a contract on the home since it takes about 30-45 days to close or should I be patient and wait until I know that the refund has been deposited to my savings acct???  Scores are 645, 638, 640 Myfico and lender pull. Plan to use the Homepath Mortgage program.

No place to go but UP

EQ 632
EX 648
TU 648
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Down Payment question

You should be fine either way.

You can apply now and start the process or wait.

Worse case if that is what you are worried about it would be one of your conditions.

I dont see an issue from the limited information you have given.

Good luck....
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 6
nvrgiveup08
Contributor

Thanks. This is the biggest concern that I have. No overdrafts, cc balances under 15%, and 11 years on the job. I just worry that UW likes to see reserves in the bank.

No place to go but UP

EQ 632
EX 648
TU 648
Message 3 of 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Yes most do want you to have reserves. But different lenders have different requirements.

Just talk to a few Brokers and LO's and let them guide you. They know the requirements from the lenders they deal with.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

reserves look good to the automated underwriting engine.... but they are not required an very many loans anymore.

you are fine.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Be careful with your timeline. If you go ahead now, make sure you can extend the closing if you need to. The IRS isn't going to start accepting 2012 tax returns for processing until January 30th at the earliest, and then the absolute soonest you could expect your Federal refund after that would be 10-14 days, putting you at mid February. Any number of delays could happen with the IRS as well. I would count on not having the cash until late February, just to be safe. If you're also counting on a state return, then it might be longer too, depending on the state.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.