Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down payment Assistance Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Down payment Assistance Question

Hello, my wife and I are in the process of getting downpayment/closing cost assistance in FL. One of the lenders I was using had told me to dont bother unless my score is 620-640ish. We went ahead and applied since the countty i live in has limited funds.  I'm right at those scores and I just had a disputed collections removed so i should be golden. Does FL SHIP funds expire after they are awarded or do I have a few months if we need to play it safe? Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Down payment Assistance Question

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, my wife and I are in the process of getting downpayment/closing cost assistance in FL. One of the lenders I was using had told me to dont bother unless my score is 620-640ish. We went ahead and applied since the countty i live in has limited funds.  I'm right at those scores and I just had a disputed collections removed so i should be golden. Does FL SHIP funds expire after they are awarded or do I have a few months if we need to play it safe? Thanks in advance!

SHIP funds run out quickly. They run on a fiscal year rather than the calendar year. You will need to check with your county to see if there are remaining funds available. Different counties get different allotments as these are funds from doc stamps. It is not unusual for the county to completely run out of funds six months into the fiscal year and yet they continue to accept applications for approval and do not disclose that they don't have the funds to actually fund the assistance. It is so prevalent that in my area many sellers won't accept an offer that uses SHIP funding because the sale is unlikely to close. I'm in Palm Beach county.  Your area may be different. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i camped out so I was one of the first 10 when they started applications on the first day. We should be close to 100% getting the funds. My question is after i receive the award letter how long do I have to find a house?

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes i camped out so I was one of the first 10 when they started applications on the first day. We should be close to 100% getting the funds. My question is after i receive the award letter how long do I have to find a house?

Not long. Ask your housing counselor. They don't go by when you start your application as much as when you turn in the purchase and sale contract and the lender approval. It takes a long time for SHIP to process their portion of the deal and you have to have lender approval before they actually begin (in earnest) to process your file. Before the contract it is just a preliminary "approval". 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.