Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down payment loans

tag
gamblerx15
New Contributor

Down payment loans

Are there currently any fha loans that allow you to borrow the down payment money?

My broker tells me there are fha loans out there that will allow it if its disclosed?

after reading all the threads there this sounds a bit off.

Starting Score: 649
Current Score: 680
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Down payment loans

I'm not really sure how that works but i know some loans are acceptable for down payment. I have student loans and can take out "extra" for living expenses. We were told this is an acceptable method as long as we can verify it.

I know there are down payment assistance programs but i think that's different than what you're asking? Also, you can avoid paying down payment if you and the home are eligible for a USDA loan.

Message 2 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Could you be more specific on how you plan on borrowing the funds?  Are you talking about a soft second from your local housing authority, a 401k loan, family, etc?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 11
debtfree09
Regular Contributor

I just talked to an FHA lender and he told me that you can borrow up to 96.5% of the value of the house.  If you have enough money available you can roll your closing costs into your mortgage so you don't have to pay them upfront.  Is that maybe what you were thinking of?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty sure the OP means the other 3.5% that you need to have for downpayment Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 11
debtfree09
Regular Contributor

The lender we have talked to said as long as  you are under that 96.5% loan to value ratio you do not have to come up with a down payment.
Message 6 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

A 96.5% loan to value (LTV) means that you are borrowing 96.5% of the sales price.  Therefore your down payment is the remaining 3.5% needed to equal 100% of the sales price. 

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 7 of 11
debtfree09
Regular Contributor

Maybe its different when you are refiniancing.  We are asking to refinance our higher interest loan and were told we did not have to come up with any money.
Message 8 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

That is correct.  When you are refinancing there is no down payment.  Then it is just a matter of whether you have sufficient equity in your home.  The OP was questioning borrowing funds for a down payment...which is used on purchases

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 9 of 11
gamblerx15
New Contributor

yes I meant the 3.5% downpayment, My loan officer is trying to get me to borrow it for my down payment, we just found out we make to much to qualify for the utah housing grant which was going to pay for our down. so we are currently about 10k short lol ( we didnt plan on having to come up with this and have been mass paying down our cc to make our dti look good ).

Starting Score: 649
Current Score: 680
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.