Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb question on rates!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dumb question on rates!

Okay, so I go to eLoan and see what the rates would be for a score of 630 (supposed to be higher once all the CRAs update with new credit mix, low util and some SL lates GWed off).

So I get a screen that gives me, for the SAME term period different interest rates and APRs.

Like this:

30 Year Fixed (30 year loan)

Interest Points or Monthly APR Prepay Closing Loan
Rate Credit* Payment Penalty Costs Details

6.625% 3.969% $1,537 7.538% No View View Apply

7.750% 1.987% $1,719 8.057% No View View Apply

8.250% 0.846% $1,803 8.442% No View View Apply

Why the huge diff in interest rates??? Is that something that depends on the actual score? Or something that is factored depending on the other details of the loan (DP, points, etc)??

Please help me figure out what the HECK this is saying???

We really want to go with the top payment (the $1537) if it's at ALL possible!!

TIA!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Dumb question on rates!

you might want to ask eloan what that means.
good luck with that
Retired Lender
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's what I got when I ran for $80k property value and loan of $75k.

Interest Points Monthly APR Prepay
Rate Pymt Penalty

6.375% 3.609% $468 7.706% No

6.750% 1.999% $486 7.934% No

7.125% 0.673% $505 8.186% No

The points in the second column are what you would pay upfront to get a better interest rate. Basically you're buying down the rate. If you want the top line you'd have to come up with 3.969% upfront. In my example, if I want the rate of 6.375, I'd have to pay .03609 * 75000 or $2706.75. This would be on top of the down payment and closing costs. If I didn't have 2700 and a down payment, I could get the last line for downpayment + closing costs + $504.

If you click the link to view closing costs and move through all three examples, it shows that your closing costs are most expensive for the lowest monthly payment.

There are many articles to explain how this works but the gist of them I think is that it only makes sense to pay the points up front if you plan to stay in the house and loan for quite awhile. If you're only staying a few years or if you think you may refinance in a couple years, it may end up costing you more by paying part of the interest up front.

Um, not the best explanation probably so someone correct me if I'm wrong..
Message 3 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

with the labels at the top, it makes more sense now.
sounds like their rates are on the high side

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.