cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earnest Money (How much?), Appraisals, Offers, Etc.

tag
Hopingforamortgage
Contributor

Earnest Money (How much?), Appraisals, Offers, Etc.

Earnest Money - How much must one give the realtor?  Can we do a minimum amount (like $500 and still be taken seriously?)

I ask because we're doing a zero down mortgage.  I'd prefer to hand them as little as possible as I would like reserves reflected in my bank account, kwim?

Appraisal - Obviously we're paying for this.

Home Inspection - Also on us.

This house needs appliances.  Can we ask that $$ for appliances come back to us at closing for this purchase?  (There are nice appliances in place, but they are black.  Not sure I'm lovin' it.)

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dpechal
Regular Contributor

Re: Earnest Money (How much?), Appraisals, Offers, Etc.

I recently put down $1,000 for the earnest payment, $500 could work but i'd ask your agent what she see's most.

***$25,500******$20,000******$20,000******$20,000******$15,000********NPSL****

Message 2 of 5
Mrs_hambright
Frequent Contributor

I'm pretty new to this but the way I understand this is it depends on the asking price of the house. I could be wrong but your realtor will give you the best estimate for the deposit amount. I just sent 1000.00 & the asking price was 114,900
Message 3 of 5
Jamisonke
New Contributor

I, too, was under the impression that the Earnest Money Deposit was a percentage of the purchase price. We just purchased a new construction home at $489,000 and our EMD was $14,700 (which is 3% of the purchase price).
--------------------------------
Current FICO scores: EQ 762, EX 761, TU 773
Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Depends on what is customary in your area & the sales price.  I've seen $300k-400k sales prices in Georgia with a $1k earnest money deposit, out here in CA it seems to be more around 1% of the sales price.  Your real estate agent can tell you what would be appropriate.  The earnest money is credited towards whatever you owe at closing, if you are doing a mortgage which doesn't require a down payment & all your closing costs are being paid by the seller or lender as well, then you should get the full amount of your earnest money back at closing.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.