cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earnest Money Question

tag
Runky00

Earnest Money Question

I was required to put down 1% of the purchase price of the home as earnest money. I made the check out to the real estate company and understand it will be cashed. The question I have it what happens to that money when I close? I did not have to make a downpayment because I am using the 100% financing thru NFCU and the builder is paying the closing costs.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Re: Earnest Money Question

The earnest money  should be returned to you at closing unless there are other costs not covered by the seller or your financing program.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 2 of 4
Runky00

@BigBS wrote:

The earnest money  should be returned to you at closing unless there are other costs not covered by the seller or your financing program.

Thanks! I was not sure how that worked.

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

^^^Exactly right, it is returned to you.  All the money is brought to closing, you're EMD included. All expenses/charges and all deposits/credits are shown line by line on your HUD1.  Any excess funds are returned to you right at closing when the other funds are disbursed. Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.