Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eating Crow

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Eating Crow

I'm thinking about buying....

I'm looking at using my VA loan benefits and possibly using USAA's "Home Cirle" "Home Advantage" programs.

Anyone have any input on VA loans firstly, and has anyone used the Home Advantage service through USAA?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Eating Crow

I didn't use the home advantage program but I did my VA mortgage application through USAA in fall of 2010. My case presented some challenges (short sale) but I can say i was UNDERwhelmed with USAA's service. Their mortgage services are contracted out and I did not receive the level of service and consideration i am used to with USAA. Your experience may be different. Once it was completed and transferred to their servicing department it was back to USAA standards of service. In fairness the time I was dealing with all of this the mortgage market and refinance market was crazy busy and a lot of lenders were slow to respond. But I felt like USAA did not step in and handle minor issues in a timely fashion and caused / allowed unnecessary delays in the process.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 4
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I appreciate your feedback on their loan processing.

Sadly, I don't think I'm going to use them for the actual loan.  They currently have a 3.7 or lower overall rating on their own website and a lot of that is recent feedback.

I was thinking of checking out Quicken Loans - wonder if anyone has any feedback for them.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 4
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

I did a VA loan 13 months ago.  I did not USAA (I do not like them btw) but I did work for a while with NFCU.  Ultimately my "regular" bank (WF) won the bidding war by doing better than NFCU and their buying program.

The VA loan is great.  No PMI, lenders love the guarantee, and I ended up with 3.75% with a 711 midscore.

I was preapprove by NFCU, WF and BB&T and then played one off the other.  The process was painless and quick.  I closed for less money than I expected.  Got my wife's dream house (and mine) with nothing down, a low rate, no pmi and a more than managable monthly payment.  All is good, because regardless of what happens, we are keeping this house.

Hope all works for you.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.