cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of changing jobs during or just before the loan process

tag
Acase76

Effect of changing jobs during or just before the loan process

My husband has been at his current job for 9 months. He's looking to make a move (either lateral or upward in pay but not decrease).  That being said, he can also show consistent income via 1099 for the past 4 years. Can anybody tell me if him changing jobs just before or during the loan process will affect our loan? If so, how?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Effect of changing jobs during or just before the loan process

1099 is basically handled like self employed where your tax returns and the income he shows, after expenses will be used.

Is he planning to remain in the same field?

It is difficult to make the change during the mortgage process and it is not really a good idea to do it immediately before application for a mortgage. Unless he is going to get a substantial raise/benefit, is it possible for him to wait until after you have closed?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effect of changing jobs during or just before the loan process

I only recently finished jumping through all the extra hoops that a lender can throw at a self employed individual, and I will second StartingOver10's recommendation.  If at all possible, he shouldn't change anything right now.  

More than anything, lenders want to see consistency in a self employed individual's history.  This is why they will average out his tax return income (which will exclude expenses) from the last two years, and in some circumstances they will look back even further.  Since he can document 1099 earnings for four years that is fantastic, but making a change right now will very likely only make an UW look even closer which is something you do not want.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.