Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of refi of car loan??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Effect of refi of car loan??

I was thinking of refinancing my car loan over a longer term to reduce my payment from $300 per month to $100 per month.

How would this move affect my credit?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Effect of refi of car loan??

@Anonymous wrote:
I was thinking of refinancing my car loan over a longer term to reduce my payment from $300 per month to $100 per month.
How would this move affect my credit?

New accounts especially like that do not help your scores. If you save money then do it. The point hit will depend upon your file. Unless you are seeking a mortgage very soon it won't hurt you most probably but like everything in the credit game YMMV.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am seeking to buy a new house in the next six months, so it sounds like I should wait to refinance the car.  What do you think?

I was just hoping to put the extra $200 per month in a savings account.  And I thought having $200 less in Installment debt might increase the amount of mtg for which I could qualify.  What do you think?

Message 3 of 4
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am seeking to buy a new house in the next six months, so it sounds like I should wait to refinance the car. What do you think?
I was just hoping to put the extra $200 per month in a savings account. And I thought having $200 less in Installment debt might increase the amount of mtg for which I could qualify. What do you think?

Why not post this question in the mortgage forum and ask one of the mortgage experts like Shane for some help? I am inclined to think you might want to wait but I could be wrong.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.