Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Escrow shortage with Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Escrow shortage with Chase

Let me paraphrase a letter I just recieved.

"Hi, we just noticed that for the last two years we haven't been able to do basic arithmetic very well.  During that time we've spent down all of the escrow funds that are supposed to cover increases in your taxes and insurance costs.  Somehow we didn't notice this happening until it was all gone.

Therefore, for the next year all of your mortgage payments are suddenly going to be 66% higher.  Yes, you did read that right, 66%.  Surprise!

Love,

Chase"

....and of course this letter comes on the DAY we're just recieved a loan to cover thousands of dollars on necessary repairs to the house.

Is there some sort of legal protection against one's mortgage company being inept?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Escrow shortage with Chase

@Anonymous wrote:

Let me paraphrase a letter I just recieved.

"Hi, we just noticed that for the last two years we haven't been able to do basic arithmetic very well.  During that time we've spent down all of the escrow funds that are supposed to cover increases in your taxes and insurance costs.  Somehow we didn't notice this happening until it was all gone.

Therefore, for the next year all of your mortgage payments are suddenly going to be 66% higher.  Yes, you did read that right, 66%.  Surprise!

Love,

Chase"

....and of course this letter comes on the DAY we're just recieved a loan to cover thousands of dollars on necessary repairs to the house.

Is there some sort of legal protection against one's mortgage company being inept?

You will need to look at the mortgage agreement that you signed to see how shortfalls in escrow are handled.

In the end, unfortunately, I would believe that the borrower has some responsibility for knowing the annual insurance and property taxes.  Chase spent your escrow money to pay the necessary expenses to protect their interest in the property.  The underlying causes of the emptying of the escrow account are the taxes and insurance.  Even if there weren't an escrow account for these things, you'd still be responsible for payment of the higher costs. 

Still, it stinks.  If the escrow payments you'd been making for the past two years had been increased from the very moment that your insurance and taxes went up, then the effect would be less dramatic.  But you would have been paying a higher amount for that entire time.

I'm pretty stunned at the magnitude of the increase in monthly payment.  Why did that occur?  Was the original monthly payment calculated using the former owner's tax bill, which would have changed when it was reappraised at the time of purchase?  Did you make major renovations after you purchased that led to a reappraisal?  Was there a claim on your property insurance that led to an increase in premium?

Message 2 of 5
gpeach
Regular Contributor

Did you build a new house? 

Message 3 of 5
cdtotten
Established Contributor

What was the old escrow payment, what is the new escrow payment?

Was this new construction? Sometimes property taxes can be WAY off on new construction.

Did your insurance premium increase?

Escrow balances are a pretty straight forward calculation and they would have provided you with a couple escrow statements over your time owning the home. A quick look at the statement should highlight the reason for the discrepency... they obviously had the wrong figures for tax and insurance.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Boy oh boy!  What a horrible letter to get in the mail!! 

Very curious what happened - Did you get a tax bill every October?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.