cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimate of the amount I'll need at closing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Estimate of the amount I'll need at closing?

Can somebody help me estimate the amount I will need at closing for say house that sells for $170,000, FHA 30 year fixed, 3.5% down?

The 3.5% down is a give in.. 170K x 3.5% = $5,950

But is that all I'll need? Are there going to be other fees that can't be included in the mortgage? 

Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tischer712
Regular Contributor

Re: Estimate of the amount I'll need at closing?

From my readings on FHA loans, there will likely be some closing costs, credit check, appraisal fees, things of those nature. I think you might be able to get those things added into the loan. I am still trying to fully understand the FHA process. 

Starting Score: myFico Scores Equifax 544 Transunion 585
Current Score: myFico Scores Equifax 655 Transunion 663 Experian 645
Goal Score: 700 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Tischer712 wrote:

From my readings on FHA loans, there will likely be some closing costs, credit check, appraisal fees, things of those nature. I think you might be able to get those things added into the loan. I am still trying to fully understand the FHA process. 

Well, I am going through the begining stages of the process, FHA, and on $180,000 home this is what was stated in my intial email:

"Downpayment, at 3.5% would be $6,300. If you didn’t get any seller tax credit, and don’t get any other closing costs paid for by the seller, then with the down payment + all of the closing costs (escrow account, 1-year of insurance, lender fees, appraisal, title insurance, attorney closing fee, etc.) I estimate you’d need to have $13,300 in funds on a $180k sales price "

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

That sounds about right, but the OP should get a GFE from a lender if he is looking for something more specific.

If he is looking for "round numbers" so he knows how much to save, then your estimate is as good as any for the price range. The differences might be significant if he is in an area of high real estate taxes or high insurance.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't most of those fees mentioned be included in the mortgage with an FHA loan? 

I'm trying to find out exactly how much to save, and I will ask that fees that can be included in the mortgage be included in the mortgage.

Message 5 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't most of those fees mentioned be included in the mortgage with an FHA loan? 

I'm trying to find out exactly how much to save, and I will ask that fees that can be included in the mortgage be included in the mortgage.

There are a couple of ways to include the lender fees into a mortgage. The most common way is to have the seller pay some or all of your closing costs and prepaid expenses. That is something you would negotiate into the contract right up front with the seller. Some sellers will pay part or all of your costs, others won't. FHA allows a maximum of 6% of your purchase price for maximum seller's contribution. Most of the time you don't need 6% (if you do in this market, find another lender). Generally 4% of purchase price ought to cover most of your expenses excluding down payment. The only way to know for sure is to have an estimate by a local lender for the house you prefer before you make the offer.

The other way to get your costs covered is to have the lender pay some or all of your costs. The problem with that is they bump up your interest rate to get the additional funds to do it and IMO it is not worth it to pay so much extra per month for 30 years.

The best way is to have the seller pay as much as you can negotiate in the price. Otherwise, you are responsible for the loan costs if you want to buy.

Another way is to see if you qualify for any of the first time homebuyer programs offered by your county.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.