Valued Member
tshope4205

Experienced advice needed! What are my chances

Sold our home (in which we took a substantial loss & have to bring cash to the table to close).  We took the loss because we are ready to move on to our hopefully "forever" home.  2nd child on the way & were out of space in our first home! 

Bottom line, is that on 10/30/12 we went to get pre-approved to make an offer on a new home....I had been monitoring my credit through a monitoring service, in which I believed to have 630 - 640 score (not ideal, but acceptable for FHA at least i thought).  However when actual credit was pulled my score was:

• TU = 609
  • EXP = 573
  • Equi= 582

Husband's midscore was around 700 - so his were fine.  Problem is that I am the breadwinner & he stays at home....so I have to be on the loan to get approved.  With current lender, I need to get my mid-score to 620.  Here is a summary of my report:

• 76% utilization of cc's
  • 3 collection accounts (each under $100 - were medical bills that I was unaware of)
  • a 60 day late in July '12 on a Macy's card because of a mixup on my budget file (kicking myself HARD for this one)

I am working with a credit repair company that has started the dispute process on my collection accounts that are now paid.  I also sent a GW letter to Macy's - have yet to hear back from then, but just sent on Friday.  All of my credit cards will be paid down to $0 except one - on which I will leave under a 9% balance.  From what I can tell all of the credit cards should be updated on reports by early December.

Based on the simulators, paying off my cc's - seems to have a significant boost (myfico simulator is telling me my 534 score will go to between 620 - 640. 

My questions are:

• How accurate are the simulators in your experience?
  • Do I have a fighting chance of getting that big of a boost in December
  • Anything else I could do to improve my chances?

In the meantime, we'll be living with my Mother in Law until we can get approved for a mortgage!!!  At least we're not homeless!!

Starting Score: 534 (10.30.12)
Current Score: 649 (12.9.12)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Epcot

Re: Experienced advice needed! What are my chances

Decreasing your util will be your best boost I think. I paid mine down from 80% to 29% and saw a near 50 point increase once the new balances reported. Hopefully Macy's will show some love.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 809 EX 774 TU 805
App free since 4/11/13
Valued Contributor
beb86

Re: Experienced advice needed! What are my chances

Yeah your best bet would be to pay down your UTLI WAYYYY down and maybe have him add you as an AU on a few of his positive accounts

ccpics2.jpg

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+