Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explaining recent large deposit

tag
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Re: Explaining recent large deposit

Well, my brother works "off the book" and he want's me to hold the cash for him.   He works at a restaurant and is paid cash only. That's why.  

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiding money for your brother so he can keep it off the books (aka hide it from the IRS) is not something you want to have to explain to a loan officer.  I've never been asked for more that my two most recent bank statements so 60 days should be plenty.  However, given the shady nature of the money I wouldn't even deposit it.  Give it back to your brother and have him keep it in his sock drawer or under the mattress.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My UW asked for a paper trail for every single deposit into my account for the month before I applied for the loan through my closing. They were not asking for just "large" deposits, either. They wanted to know where a $10 deposit came from.

I think it depends on your situation. I'm pretty low income, so my LO explained that even small deposits are a significant percentage based on my income. Like if I made a couple hundred thousand a year, $500 wouldn't be much money but if I make $25,000 a year, $500 is a quarter of my monthly income.

If I were you, I'd tell my brother that I can't "hold" any money for him until you are done buying your house, especially not cash. Even if it was given to you as a gift, it could not be cash or there would be major issues. Don't risk it.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.