Extension of Tax Credit

I hope this passes it would help a lot of people:

Tax Credit Extension

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
happy0510
Established Contributor

Re: Extension of Tax Credit

I really really hope this goes through! I mean they didn't offer enough time to begin with I think.  Most buyers, if they are smart, should build a DP, get credit in order, pay down balances, etc. before purchasing a home.  I think minimum folks should start preparing 12 months out.

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They should increase it to $15k and continue it as it is for first time home buyers only. Expanding it to include everyone will be too expensive.
Message 3 of 8
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
They should increase it to $15k and continue it as it is for first time home buyers only. Expanding it to include everyone will be too expensive.

lol, but doubling it won't?  The majority of buyers are first-time homebuyers, anyway.  So I think what you're proposing would be much more expensive than offering it to everyone. 

I do think they should extend it, though.  But I don't think it was ever intended to convince everyone to buy homes, just push people over the edge that were on the fence or waiting for the economy to pick back up, ya know?

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't get the $15k and prompting people to "move up" to a more expensive home.  Isn't that part of what got us into this mess in the first place?  And if someone "moves up" they are only leaving another home to sell.  Unless, of course, they are purchasing investment property or a second home.  In addition, the $15 credit is limited to tax liability, so lower income people wouldn't receive any benefit from it at all.  This is just another tax loop-hole for the well-to-do that leaves the middle class once again footing the bill.
Message 5 of 8
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
And if someone "moves up" they are only leaving another home to sell.  Unless, of course, they are purchasing investment property or a second home. 

That's a good point.  I guess that's why it's a first time homebuyer's credit.  I didn't read the article, but based on what you're saying, the proposed credit is non-refundable?  I mean it all works out the same in the end for the most part, but like in my case, that $15k would take 5-10 years to be used up.  I'd rather have it in an account earning interest or using it for some of those expenses that pop up in the first year of owning a home.

That is, of course, assuming that the credit can even be forwarded for that many years.  If not, then it's definitely tailored for the wealthy.

Ok, so I read the article and clearly this $15k credit mumbo jumbo is coming from somewhere else.  I haven't heard any speculation of a 15k tax credit.  What are the details of this?

Message Edited by thrasher865 on 06-27-2009 09:23 AM

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Message 6 of 8
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

Man I hope so too, but it is rare that things I really want are approved.  I agree, before there were any tax credits, I planned to continue to save every penny for a few years and get a house without any worries about not making the monthly payment. The tax credit this year changed my plans, and I do not feel like I am totally ready especially since a lot of bad collections will fall off of my report and my car will be paid off.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a link to a site that has specific articles, blogs, etc. about Senate Bill (S. 1230) to amend the $8,000 tax credit to $15,000:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s1230/show

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.