Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA 203K Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA 203K Loan

Hi there,

I am looking for some type of help or maybe some who has some type of knowledge regarding the FHA 203K loan (not the streamline).  I have recently was looking for a home and I managed to find one for $79,5K.  It was a foreclosed property and luckily I have done my homework (thank god for HGTV).  I offered the full asking price with $4K back in closing costs.  My realtor pretty much told me that a bank owned property never pays any concessions fees whatsoever.  I put the offer in on a Friday, the offer was accepted on that Monday.

This is the thing.... I signed up for E-loans and they were sending me all types of mortgages offers. At first, I started to go out with a bank in Mass, but they only wanted to give me $31K for the cost of reparis.  They have what is called a streamlined loan (Max you can take out in additional to your loan is $35K). I opted for the FHA 203K Loan.  After all the paperwork was done, I kept asking the mortgage broker, what my interest rate was going to be and he said that he locked me in at 6% and I thought ok, that is better than I thought.

I have another friend that owns his own mortgage company and about 1 week+/- before I was suppose to close, he sends me an email stating that his company is financing the FHA 203K Loan.  I told him the only way that I would go with him is that he would have to give me an interest rate of 5%.  He agreed.  I was his first loan and I believe his last. After the closing, i have contacted him several times regarding when can I submit the paperwork for the draws so that the Contractor can get paid and start the work.  He didn't have any answers for me at all.  I goggled the Company on line to see if I can contact another location and see if they had any answers.  Believe it or not, this company is a family owned Company based out of  Phoenix, AZ.  I spoke to the brother and he stated that my loan was being sold to Countrywide because they specialize in these types of loans.   Aggravated with the lack of communication from the original bank, I started doing homework of my own.  Accordingly to FHA (HUD), I could have incorporated up to six (6) months worth of PITI into the payment and that work is suppose to commense w ithin 30 days of my closing. 

I closed on the 20th Jan and Countrywide(CW) just purchased my loan on the 23rd Feb.  This is past the 30 day mark.  I spoke to the people at CW and they told me that my first payment is due on the 1st of April, but yet the contractor has yet to start the work.  I am beyond myself and don't know what to do.  I have asked CW to suspend my first payment until after the work is completed and I have moved into my home.  They told me that it can't be done and that was the end of that.  In this work order write up that the contractor has submitted, they are now telling me that I have to purchased the appliances up front and that they will reimburse me....This was not explained to me at all.  And also the contractor can request a 50% deposit for the Cabinets, flooring, roof and windows.  I have three out of the fours requests and the 203K Consultant ( this is required) is telling me that it is going to take an additional 2weeks (10days) for CW to get me setup in the system and before they can process any draw /deposits requests.  I

I am hoping that someone can tell me what I can do or offer any advice on how this should be handled.  Or if you have had or know someone that has had a FHA 203K loan with CW and what I can expect.  Any information would would be vital and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: FHA 203K Loan

Unfortunately I think you are stuck.  My daughter also bought a HUD home with the 203 FHA loan.  We found out after closing that she had to pay for everything up front and then get reimbursed.  LOL  well Mom and Dad to the rescue.  I charged up my cards to help her out and have been paying them off and down now so I can apply for my own home loan in March.

The company (her loan was sold to Countrywide) did reimburse her once the work was done.  She turned in the receipts and the appraiser took the pictures.  The contractors had to agree to either wait for their money or we paid 1/2 up front and the other 1/2 when she was reimbursed. 

Message 2 of 6
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

I would contact an attorney and see if there is any hope.

Good luck.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are probably out of luck.   All the literature on the 203K program online is pretty clear about the payment setups.  Unfortunately the LO should have gone over all of this with you in detail (as well as with the contractors that were chosen...)  I would file a complaint with the BBB and such, but as a buyer, you would be responsible for researching the conditions of the program that you chose.
Message 4 of 6
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You are probably out of luck.   All the literature on the 203K program online is pretty clear about the payment setups.  Unfortunately the LO should have gone over all of this with you in detail (as well as with the contractors that were chosen...)  I would file a complaint with the BBB and such, but as a buyer, you would be responsible for researching the conditions of the program that you chose.

This was my first thought as well. I know we were considering the 203K loan, and I read everything I could find. It does say you can roll up to 6 months of mortgage payments into the loan. 

I agree that something needs to be done. This was not done very professionally

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know the original mortgage company waived the first month mortgage.  So payment is due the 1st of April.  I am hoping that I can move in by the middle of the month (April) to avoid paying rent for the month of April.  But I thank you very much for responding to me.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.