Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Alternative Credit File

tag
MichiganMommy
Frequent Contributor

FHA Alternative Credit File

What is an alternative credit file (when you need 3 positive 12 month TL)? I know "why" you need one, but what is it comprised of? How long does it take?  
Updates scores...inching along. Waiting for 7 recent medical collections to fall off!! (seriously working since END of May): EX 519 TU 576 EQ 449
8-02-08 EX 644 TU 647 EQ 575...650s here I come....700club, get ready!!!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: FHA Alternative Credit File

It takes as long as you can gather up the documenation for the alternative/non-traditional trade lines.  Here's some info:

When an applicant lacks a traditional established credit history, then an alternative credit history must be provided using non-credit payment references. This non-traditional credit must cover a 12 month period and should adequately demonstrate the applicant's ability to successfully manage regularly scheduled financial obligations. Forms of non-credit payment references must document timely payment of
o Rental History
o Appliance rental or purchase
o Cable television bills
o Daycare expense
o Dealer financed auto loan
o Electricity bills
o Furniture rental or purchase
o Gas company bills
o Insurance premiums
o Jewelry purchases (store financing)
o Long term layaways
o Medical bills paid per payment agreement directly to the provider
o Owner financing on purchased goods
o Rental of current or previous residence
o Rent-to-own agreements
o Store financing
o Telephone Bills
o Personal Property Tax bills
In developing non-traditional credit, only those types of credit that require the mortgage applicant to make periodic payments on a regular basis should be considered (the payment schedule must call for payments at intervals that are no longer than every three months).
In order for the underwriter to consider verified non-credit payment references, the documentation must provide the following information:
o To whom the payments were made;
o The nature of the obligation (utilities, payment for purchases, insurance, etc.);
o When the account was opened
o The amount of the payment required or made;
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 7
MichiganMommy
Frequent Contributor

Shane... Once you supply this info my understanding is that something is ordered from FHA and this can take time? Does this ring a bell???
Updates scores...inching along. Waiting for 7 recent medical collections to fall off!! (seriously working since END of May): EX 519 TU 576 EQ 449
Message 3 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

fha case number is ordered, as well as a caivrs report

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

MichiganMommy wrote:
Shane... Once you supply this info my understanding is that something is ordered from FHA and this can take time? Does this ring a bell???

You actually supply the loan officer the documentation of non-traditional credit.  Simply call up whatever the source is (utility company, etc.) and ask for a "letter of credit" which would outline when you established that non-traditional credit trade line and it's payment history.  That should be sufficient enough.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 7
MichiganMommy
Frequent Contributor

Okay. Done all this. The credit report people actually called today to get the information from me. Why did they not get it from the loan co? At any rate, I understand that they have to verify the positive TL and then add this information to my credit report. They also told me they are required to verify all collection accounts. What are they verifying with all collection accounts???

So, after this information goes back to the loan co, what happens next?
Message 6 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Credit report people will put it on your report(internally, not at the bureau level) and that will go to underwriters
Retired Lender
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.