cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Appraisal..what if there are errors?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA Appraisal..what if there are errors?

**UPDATE**

After I posted my last message, I got an email from my agent. The appraisal price will be adjusted upward. We just don't know how much, yet.

What's funny is as excited as I am about that news, I think my fiance' thinks I am crazy for thinking that's good news. I guess he was really hoping to get the house for $220,000.  

Message 11 of 13
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Glad it's moving in a positive direction for you at least.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

We still don't have the official new appraisal price, but our lender said the unofficial price was going to be at least $226,000. A few more comps were being considered today and then the UW had to sign off on it. 

Of course, my fiance' was skeptical and thinks that someone went in a back room somewhere and just played with numbers to make sure they don't lose our business. I told him that it didn't work that way and that from what I have read it isn't easy getting an appraisal price adjusted.

After talking to our real estate agent, what seems to have happened is the appraiser didn't really use good comps. While the houses he used had similar sq footage and were on the same street as the one we are purchasing, that's about where the similarities end. They weren't comparable as far as number of bedrooms, lack of formal areas, lot sizes, age of appliances, lack of formal areas, etc. Our house wasn't given proper credit for the differences. The neighborhood we are purchasing is in is 20+ years old and so are most of the homes. While we are buying a house that has new appliances, a new roof, and other upgrades, some of the homes in the neighborhood don't and that seems to be the comps the appraiser used. 

But of course, we are still in wait and see mode. We have to get the official appraisal price and then see if the sellers are willing to go down to it.

Cross your fingers for me! 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.