Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Approved Properties?

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

FHA Approved Properties?

Supposed to close this month and my LO says that property I want isn't a FHA approved property- i.e. FHA is unwilling to provide loans on properties in that area.

Anyone have experience with this?? Were you able to get around it or get the property approved? Or should I just begin looking for a new house??

I searched the boards and I am apparently the only idiot who has gone this far with a house to not find this out....... Smiley Frustrated

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
MattieNumNums
Regular Contributor

Re: FHA Approved Properties?

Don't bother just move on.

Message 2 of 23
chan85
Established Contributor

@MattieNumNums wrote:

Don't bother just move on.

Reasons?

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 3 of 23
MattieNumNums
Regular Contributor

It requires a lot from the Association to get approved and some buildings will NEVER get approved. I went through the same issue, FHA approved and couldn't find anything FHA approved and the properties that were approved most agents put FHA and VA at the bottom of the list (Cash, Conventional, Homepath (were applicable), FHA, and finally VA). I finally found a Homepath property and was able to not only get a great deal for financing but also 3% back in concessions. FHA was a HUGE waste of time for me (I even had a pretty good down for an FHA loan 10% down.)

Edit: If this is a house and its not FHA approved that means its either not going to pass inspection or appraisal.

Message 4 of 23
chan85
Established Contributor

@MattieNumNums wrote:

It requires a lot from the Association to get approved and some buildings will NEVER get approved. I went through the same issue, FHA approved and couldn't find anything FHA approved and the properties that were approved most agents put FHA and VA at the bottom of the list (Cash, Conventional, Homepath (were applicable), FHA, and finally VA). I finally found a Homepath property and was able to not only get a great deal for financing but also 3% back in concessions. FHA was a HUGE waste of time for me (I even had a pretty good down for an FHA loan 10% down.)

Edit: If this is a house and its not FHA approved that means its either not going to pass inspection or appraisal.

Its a townhouse, already paid for inspection. No serious problems. No appraisal yet because of this.

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 5 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@chan85 wrote:

@MattieNumNums wrote:

Its a townhouse, already paid for inspection. No serious problems. No appraisal yet because of this.

Dont order the appraisal yet...  and see if you can get your money back for the inspection if the inspection hasn't been completed.   My sister put an offer in on a townhouse and the first thing I told her to do was to see if it was an FHA approved unit.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 23
MattieNumNums
Regular Contributor

How did it get this far???

The HOA is going to have to file all the necessary paper work and pay any fee's necessary to get FHA approved.

Edit: If the building is on a land lease it will never be FHA approved FYI.

Message 7 of 23
MattieNumNums
Regular Contributor

I am surprised it got as far as OP is saying. Usually in the offer letter it lists the type of loan etc. You would think either agent would put red flags up at that point.

Message 8 of 23
chan85
Established Contributor

@MattieNumNums wrote:

I am surprised it got as far as OP is saying. Usually in the offer letter it lists the type of loan etc. You would think either agent would put red flags up at that point.

My letter DID say FHA!! But I don't know if either one of them knew that the property wasn't FHA approved. I already paid for the inspection, was done in MAY! Was a short sale and just got the approval for everything about a week ago.....

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 9 of 23
MattieNumNums
Regular Contributor

If you can put 5% or 10% down you can get a conventional loan at a decent rate (4.25%).

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.