cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Back to Work Loan Program Update.

tag
neaky1

Re: FHA Back to Work Loan Program Update.

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

The guidelines for the Back to Work exception are very specific and it's very documentation heavy.

Needs to be proven that there was a loss of income of at least 20% for at least 6 months, due to the employer reducing wages or letting the employee go.  Credit needs to be good (not perfect) prior to the economic event, and 12 months of re-established credit needs to happen after the mejor derogatory that the standard waiting period is trying to be reduced on.  And you need to do the homeowner education course at least 30 days before applying.  I've had numerous people come to me saying they meet the guidelines, only to find out early in the process that they quit their job, lost out on the ability to make overtime, no longer made bonuses, had their hours reduced or chose to work less hours, had a poor year of commissions due to the economy, was fired for employee misconduct, etc... and none of those meet the requirement.  It needs to be "You are being let go" or "Your salary/hourly wage is being reduced".  I've also had a lot of people miscalculate as well, not including the other spouse's income, measured the amount of time incorrectly, or not doing the math correctly.  Have had some clients who got into hot water with missing payments, and then losing their job was just the final nail in the coffin.  Even have had clients take an ineligible homeowner education course that doesn't meet the requirement.  Documentation normally is every year of tax return & W-2 going back to the economic event, along with employment verifications or a final paystub from the employment when the economic event occurred.  If unemployment compensation was rec'd (like it normally is) then that needs to be documented too.  Lastly, a timeline of the events usually is needed as well (or is highly recommended).

People need to realize that the guideline of just waiting 1 year after a short sale, foreclosure, deed-in-lieu, or Ch 7 BK is not a new guideline... it's always been there for FHA if there is an extenuating circumstance.  What is new about this is that losing 20% of income for at least a 6 month period is now considered an extenuating circumstance.  I suspect it's because people have been trying to use that as an extenuating circumstance, and underwriters were hemming & hawing over if it is one or not... and enough underwriters bugged FHA about it so specific guidelines were put into effect.

The % of success primarily depends on how well a file is put together & the loan officers understanding of the program and ability to analyze the paperwork, with some (but less) significance on the lender who is doing the underwriting.

That said... I signed the petition.  May not work, but it never hurts.

Thank you for your perspective.  Through the feedback of 4 loan officers, plus my own loan denial - 4 times, I am also aware of just the opposite.  Slam dunk cases, where everything was documented, all guidelines met, and for whatever reason, these applications have been deinied.  They have been appealed, documented, and still denied.  In my case, the UW replied to the presentation of documentation, "YOU CAN'T FORCE ME TO APPROVE THIS!"  There is no forcing, there is only the presentation of documentation.

Once in the hands of underwriters and Mortgage company overlays, the tacts are - thousands are denied.  Hundreds are approved.

Message 11 of 31
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

When a loan is denied, a reason must be given.  If the same loan was denied 4 times, it could be a sign that it isn't an approvable loan.

I had a loan just a couple months ago, my own bank denied it, then a lender we were planning on brokering it to denied it, then we submitted it simultaneously to two other wholesale lenders and they both approved it within days.  That isn't to say if it was reviewed by a different underwriter at my bank, or the first lender we brokered it to, the outcome may have been different.  Sometimes it may come down to what side of the bed the underwriter woke up on.

I don't think a viable solution is to eliminate the program though, there are a lot of people who have gotten approved under the exception, both on & off the FICO forums.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 12 of 31
neaky1

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

When a loan is denied, a reason must be given.  If the same loan was denied 4 times, it could be a sign that it isn't an approvable loan.

I had a loan just a couple months ago, my own bank denied it, then a lender we were planning on brokering it to denied it, then we submitted it simultaneously to two other wholesale lenders and they both approved it within days.  That isn't to say if it was reviewed by a different underwriter at my bank, or the first lender we brokered it to, the outcome may have been different.  Sometimes it may come down to what side of the bed the underwriter woke up on.

I don't think a viable solution is to eliminate the program though, there are a lot of people who have gotten approved under the exception, both on & off the FICO forums.

One would think.  First denial - 2 years after the qualifying event, we took $60,000 out of our 401k and purchased a house.  - Bank overlay disqualified it.  2nd denial - "couldn't find 20% loss of income.  Documented loss with pay stubs, w-2's and tax returns - response, "you can't force me to approve this loan".  3rd denial - UW went all the way back to 2006 and said we "over spent".  We had no new debt, demonstrated that and asked for reconsideration - denied again, same rrason.  4th denial "can't find 20% loss of income.  wages reported on BK was not accepted as proof that there was a 20% loss of income.  

I don't want to can the program.  The petition says: "clarify/modify" so tens of thousands are being approved, not hundreds.

Message 13 of 31
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Lenders are treating mortgage applicants under this program as scammers trying to pull one over on them while the banks that committed actual fraud are being allowed to buy their way out of prosecution. That shows our politicians care about business and not us. Programs like this allows clowns in Washington to claim they are helping us while they could care less about us. <off soapbox now>

I am pleased to have been approved for this exception despite the pain of what it took to comply with some ridiculous lender overlays. Just wished that more people could and should benefit from the program.

Message 14 of 31
neaky1

@ezdriver wrote:

Lenders are treating mortgage applicants under this program as scammers trying to pull one over on them while the banks that committed actual fraud are being allowed to buy their way out of prosecution. That shows our politicians care about business and not us. Programs like this allows clowns in Washington to claim they are helping us while they could care less about us. <off soapbox now>

I am pleased to have been approved for this exception despite the pain of what it took to comply with some ridiculous lender overlays. Just wished that more people could and should benefit from the program.

Congats!  I am on my 5th loan officer and will, as ShaneTheMortgageMan suggested, prepare a timeline, have all docs supporting the timeline and make a rock solid presentation.  Hope it works this time.  I certainly feel the UWs I have dealt with treat me as a scammer.  Truth is, we have lost 50% of our income since 2009.  5th time's a charm!

Message 15 of 31
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@neaky1 wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

Congats!  I am on my 5th loan officer and will, as ShaneTheMortgageMan suggested, prepare a timeline, have all docs supporting the timeline and make a rock solid presentation.  Hope it works this time.  I certainly feel the UWs I have dealt with treat me as a scammer.  Truth is, we have lost 50% of our income since 2009.  5th time's a charm!

One of the key documents to submit with your app is a Letter Of Expalanation. I wrote a one-page letter covering a five-year period. It detailed in reverse-chronological order all the key events that ultimately led to my ch7 bankruptcy in 2012 that was discharged in 4/2013.

I also provided tax returns [some were actual returns and others were IRS tax return transcripts]. I included documents like ch7 discharge and full petition showing list of creditors, credit reports documenting credit re-establishment, bank statements, pay stubs, proof of having completed the required counselling, a budget showing current vs proposed expenses with a lox for all variances. Think of the first page of that file presenting you the way you want to be presented and the way you want the underwriter to step through your narrative and arrive at the conclusion you want. Keep re-writing that letter until five people review it and tell you that they 100% understand it and 100% believe it.

Hope that helps you. If you pm me, I'll give you the name of the lender [has a Maryland address] that approved my file. If they are financing properties in Florida, they may also be doing so in your State. All the best.

Message 16 of 31
neaky1

Well, I don't know what "lots of people have been approved" means to you, but according to information obtained through the Freedom of Information  act:

as of July 1, 2014 only 200 Exemptions have been issued by FHA nationwide!  No more excuses, no more defending this program.  Only 200 exemptions have been approved in the first year of operating.  That is out of thousands of applications.

Message 17 of 31
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@neaky1 wrote:

Well, I don't know what "lots of people have been approved" means to you, but according to information obtained through the Freedom of Information  act:

as of July 1, 2014 only 200 Exemptions have been issued by FHA nationwide!  No more excuses, no more defending this program.  Only 200 exemptions have been approved in the first year of operating.  That is out of thousands of applications.

I'm very skeptical, quote your source.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 18 of 31
neaky1

Source was already quoted - FHA in response to a request for information through the Freedom of Information Act.

Message 19 of 31
VanRickets
Established Member

We gave up on using this program.  My husband lost his job and he looked for 2 months.  After finding nothing, we move from Florida to Seattle where he found a higher paying job.  We still had to short sale because we couldn't pay rent, moving expenses and the mortgage.  I also still had to find a job.  It didn't take 6 months, though.

The flaw in the program is that it does not look at increased expenses, only income loss.  It's been 2 years post-short-sale and it looks like we will be approved for a conventional loan with 20% down.  Wells Fargo says we are fine with the job loss & moving expenses.  But, we will see.

FICO 715 FAKO 739
Chase Freedom 14,500
Chase Slate 6,700
US Bank 14,500
Discover 15,000
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.