Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA DTI Limit Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA DTI Limit Questions

I am currently awaiting my new home construction to be ready and I have about 2 months or less before it is ready. I was doing some research recently and came across the FHA DTI limits which have me somewhat worried.

1. I understand the DTI limits are 31%/43%, but my actual interest rate may determine if I can meet the 31%. By doing what I assume would be "worst case" for my interest rate, my front end DTI comes in just under 33% which of course is higher than the 31%. My lender has not brought this up as an issue so I am hoping there is somewhat some way around this? I am working on getting my mortgage mid score above 640 which would alleviate some stress regarding interest rates. Currently it is 619 as of today.

2. I am currently in a Ch13 BK case and have put the motion to purchase a home. What I am curious to know is if the lender will calculate my Ch13 monthly plan into my backend ratio or if the student loans ($51k which are deferred by the plan) going to be factored in? As of right now, the student loan payment (assuming 1% of the 51k balance = $510/mo) would be the higher of the two. This will leave me under 42%, but I hope they do not factor both the ch13 plan AND the student loan deferred loans.

Any help is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: FHA DTI Limit Questions

DTI limit for FHA is 56.999%.

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 4
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently awaiting my new home construction to be ready and I have about 2 months or less before it is ready. I was doing some research recently and came across the FHA DTI limits which have me somewhat worried.

1. I understand the DTI limits are 31%/43%, but my actual interest rate may determine if I can meet the 31%. By doing what I assume would be "worst case" for my interest rate, my front end DTI comes in just under 33% which of course is higher than the 31%. My lender has not brought this up as an issue so I am hoping there is somewhat some way around this? I am working on getting my mortgage mid score above 640 which would alleviate some stress regarding interest rates. Currently it is 619 as of today.

2. I am currently in a Ch13 BK case and have put the motion to purchase a home. What I am curious to know is if the lender will calculate my Ch13 monthly plan into my backend ratio or if the student loans ($51k which are deferred by the plan) going to be factored in? As of right now, the student loan payment (assuming 1% of the 51k balance = $510/mo) would be the higher of the two. This will leave me under 42%, but I hope they do not factor both the ch13 plan AND the student loan deferred loans.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi LMG702,

Since you are currently in a chapter 13 BK, the lender must "down grade" your file to a manual underwrite which is going to limit your back end debt ratio depending on the lender.

For example: I have some investors that set the back end ratio to 43% max on an FHA manual underwrite & others that will allow up to 50%.

The lender will have to count your BK payment as well as the student loan payment of 1% of the balance unless you can document a lower, fully amortizing payment.

You always expect that your loan officer knows what they're doing & that they're on top your file but no one is perfect so you really should go over this with them ASAP.

Good luck.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will reach out to him to double check. Thanks for the replies.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.