Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Guideline on paint issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA Guideline on paint issue

Litterally, there is ONE part of the garage of the house we are buying that has pealing paint.  Its detatched, and its just the part right over the garage door.  Thats it, nothing else.  Will we have an issue with that?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Tooliebell
Frequent Contributor

Re: FHA Guideline on paint issue

I'm going to say it will depend on what the appraiser says.

Message 2 of 11
Booner72
Senior Contributor

It depends on the appraiser.

To make sure no probs, have the sellers paint it.

If it's a repo/short sale - just wait and see.  Worst case scenario is you have to have it painted and then the appraiser has to either get pics that it's fixed or go out and see.

I was terrified of my appraiser finding things that needed repair - mostly a crack in the bathroom window.  I don't even think she noticed it!

Good Luck!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 11
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Agree. Depends on appraiser. I have seen them miss things like this, but not often.
Scrape the paint and slap up some primer. Will be all good.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol cant do that until the bank approves my offer.  But it litterally looks like 6-7 small softball sized blotches from the top of it.  

Message 5 of 11
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

While I cannot advocate painting in the dark..... I have seen it done.

Mostly by folks who have an approved contract.

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

is it legal for me to go do that on a property that i am under contract to purchase?

Message 7 of 11
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

If house was built before 1978  (lead paint)can hold it up. We had to paint the outside of the carport ourselves (Was cleared by seller who said paint it whatever color you want  since it's going to be your house) which held up the closing for 3 weeks by the time it went through the reinspection. It ended up being a water based paint .

Message 8 of 11
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Litterally, there is ONE part of the garage of the house we are buying that has pealing paint.  Its detatched, and its just the part right over the garage door.  Thats it, nothing else.  Will we have an issue with that?

You probably shouldn't sneak in at night and paint it.  But what's stopping you?

Message 9 of 11
Booner72
Senior Contributor

My real estate agent told me she has had quite a few clients "sneak in" to do repairs b4 the appraiser came, then tell her later. 

You could get in legal trouble for that.  So you have to ask yourself if it's really worth that.

My guess is it would be a 'trespassing"

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.