tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA Loan Approval

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

this was never exactly a time to settle debts even if you paid $166 of a 1668 debt. i know of no CA's settling to your terms n conditions knowing fully well you are already into a mortgage process. 

i truly hope this CA stands by his commitment of showing $0 balance. 

i wouldnt settle with bb &t until i hear from the CA you settled with show on all 3 CRA what you think should have been reported. Trust but Verify. 

please no more talking with CA's. it only gets worse while you think all's well that ends well. 

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can FHA deny my loan for and open collection item that does not effect my DTI? 

Message 13 of 22
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can FHA deny my loan for and open collection item that does not effect my DTI? 

Depends on when the collection occurred and what type of collection it is, if it is a non-medical collection and was within the past 12 months, it could potentially be an issue. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if that is the case, it has been on my XPN and my EFX since 2013. At one point it was reported by the Original Creditor and the Collection Agency. The Original Creditor deleted it in 2016 from all three bureas. The Collection agency have not. What can I do to regroup or can I appeal to FHA since is old debt. 

Message 15 of 22
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well if that is the case, it has been on my XPN and my EFX since 2013. At one point it was reported by the Original Creditor and the Collection Agency. The Original Creditor deleted it in 2016 from all three bureas. The Collection agency have not. What can I do to regroup or can I appeal to FHA since is old debt. 

It may not even be a big deal.  A lot more details on your situation would be needed to advise.  I read in another thread you are looking to close this Friday?  Is the lender having second thoughts?  Probably want to start a new thread with full details on your situation, as you'll get much more precise advice that way.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

My prequalifaction for a FHA loan was approved with my Loan Officer for $266,000.00.  I put $15,000.00 down (deposit in mt checking account)  and have $5,000.00 in earnest money.

The house I want is on contract with me for $280,000.00. I was told I close on 04/14/2017. My credit is XPN 645, TU 680, and EFX 644 as of 02/25/2017.

I have cleared CAIVRS and this is suppose to be close week and I was told that FHA is questioning a collection balance of $9588.00 that was reported on my XPN and EFX CBR on 01/2013. I was told to contact the collection agent to pay the balance in full. This is non-medical collection debt from a Creditor that is no longer in business and have since filed a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.

I would like to know what to do. I can regroup and go Conventional but I will loose my interest rate and possiblly the Seller will not release my Earnest Money if I do not extend the contract. 

Message 17 of 22
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My prequalifaction for a FHA loan was approved with my Loan Officer for $266,000.00.  I put $15,000.00 down (deposit in mt checking account)  and have $5,000.00 in earnest money.

The house I want is on contract with me for $280,000.00. I was told I close on 04/14/2017. My credit is XPN 645, TU 680, and EFX 644 as of 02/25/2017.

I have cleared CAIVRS and this is suppose to be close week and I was told that FHA is questioning a collection balance of $9588.00 that was reported on my XPN and EFX CBR on 01/2013. I was told to contact the collection agent to pay the balance in full. This is non-medical collection debt from a Creditor that is no longer in business and have since filed a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.

I would like to know what to do. I can regroup and go Conventional but I will loose my interest rate and possiblly the Seller will not release my Earnest Money if I do not extend the contract. 

A collection of that amount will impact your DTI.  For non-medical collections that total up to $2k or more then 5% of the balance is included in your DTI, so a $9,588 non-medical collection either needs to be paid in full, a payment plan established, or $479.40/mo will be added as a monthly payment to be included in your DTI.  Do you still qualify with an extra $479.40/mo payment?  If so, then technically you shouldn't need to pay it.  If you don't qualify with that payment, then you can start up a lower monthly payment with the collection agency or you'd need to pay it in full.

Conventional most likely wouldn't require it to be paid nor it would it be included in your DTI (they don't have a "5% of balance" rule).  Obviously if you start over with conventional it'll take several more weeks to close, but if the seller is willing to extend then that seems like it could be an option.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the question I asked my Loan Officer. Even with the 479.40 (5%) added on the back end my back end obligation is less than 41%. I assume my front end obligations does not change; it is 28%. So does that mean the Loan Officer will have to include the Collection amount in the DTI calculations or do I need to contact the Collection agency and set up a payment plan? 

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did this just pop up or was it there all along and the LO just didnt think it'd be an issue?

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.