cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Loan Approved for 200k at 6.35% is that high rate?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA Loan Approved for 200k at 6.35% is that high rate?

Just got back good faith est and I am approved for 200k at 6.35% which I think is a little high?

I live in Phoenix, credit score are 716 mid and wife 610 mid. I was looking for a flat 6% rate.

Should I go somewhere else? How much extra a month am I paying at that rate instead of 6%?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FHA Loan Approved for 200k at 6.35% is that high rate?

@Anonymous wrote:
Just got back good faith est and I am approved for 200k at 6.35% which I think is a little high?

I live in Phoenix, credit score are 716 mid and wife 610 mid. I was looking for a flat 6% rate.

Should I go somewhere else? How much extra a month am I paying at that rate instead of 6%?

If this is a joint loan, they go by the lower mid score of the two of you. 6.35% is historically a very good rate. That said, you are free to shop it to see if you can get better elsewhere.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OUr VA loan ended up being that rate as well b/c we chose to lock in, had we waited a day it would be 6% but either is a good rate really.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes this is joint filing b/c I do not make enough to do the loan by myself with my DTI ratio.
Message 4 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Not trying to tell you what to do, but it really is a good rate.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
athensguy
Valued Contributor

FHA isn't really score based. But for comparison, I closed on my house last week @5.75% from FHA in GA. I locked in the rate at the end of Feb.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This leads me to ask: can lock in rates be undone without penalties? Just like the VA example above where they locked then the next day it went down?
Message 7 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Fetis wrote:

Does seem a little bit high, should be able to find better - around 6%.  $200k @ 6% = $1199.10/mo.  $200k @ 6.375% = $1247.74/mo.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

trashyart2000 wrote:
This leads me to ask: can lock in rates be undone without penalties? Just like the VA example above where they locked then the next day it went down?

Once a rate is locked in it usually can not be changed unless there is a material change in the loan file, or if the rates get low enough you can do a "float down" - for example if you locked in at 6% and rates fell to 5.625%, the lender might offer you to float down to 5.875%.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.