cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Loan - Lender's credit / sellers' concession?

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA Loan - Lender's credit / sellers' concession?

not trying to thread jack at all i just want to make sure i understand this. in my situation i am paying 83500 and seller is paying 2000 toward closing, is this in an essense financing closing cost...

Message 11 of 14
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

not trying to thread jack at all i just want to make sure i understand this. in my situation i am paying 83500 and seller is paying 2000 toward closing, is this in an essense financing closing cost...

You could look at it that if the seller wasn't going to pay $2k towards your closing costs you could have purchased the home for $81,500 instead.  But technically no, the closing costs aren't financed into the loan amount on a VA loan (other than the VA funding fee).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 12 of 14
Corn9977
New Visitor

Not a mortgage pro so my experience may be limited to Virginia...be aware that if you rely on a seller's credit/subsidy, the home must appraise for a value that includes that subsidy. So if you are looking at $300k with a $6k subsidy, the home must appraise for $300k, not the $294k the seller keeps. It's still worth trying, but we had to give up a subsidy to keep a deal afloat after a low appraisal (market was hot enough last year in northern Virginia that prices were increasing faster than appraisals).
Message 13 of 14
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Corn9977 wrote:
Not a mortgage pro so my experience may be limited to Virginia...be aware that if you rely on a seller's credit/subsidy, the home must appraise for a value that includes that subsidy. So if you are looking at $300k with a $6k subsidy, the home must appraise for $300k, not the $294k the seller keeps. It's still worth trying, but we had to give up a subsidy to keep a deal afloat after a low appraisal (market was hot enough last year in northern Virginia that prices were increasing faster than appraisals).

That is correct.  On any mortgage the home must appraise for at least the purchase price, otherwise the lower appraised value would be used to calculate the down payment/maximum loan amount, etc.   For example, let's say you were doing a loan that required a 5% down payment, on a home that you agreed to purchase for $300k.  If it only appraised for $294k, and you still agree to purchase the home for $300k, then the down payment would be the $6k difference + 5% down on $294k ($14,700) = $19,700.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.