cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Loan: Purchasing home from father (his investment property)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA Loan: Purchasing home from father (his investment property)

My father bought an investment property approx. 6 years ago (state of PA)...and has added and addition and made renovations (little by little).  Anyway he is selling the property to me and my fiance....for $150K, it was appraised at $260K before the market went south.  We had applied for an FHA loan...and were pre-approved, with 3% down and the closing cost. Now we are told that since the property is the seller's investment property they can only do a 75% LTV.  I am baffled by this as I am not familiar with mortgage lingo.  Is the an FHA guideline or something that the bank is making up? 
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: FHA Loan: Purchasing home from father (his investment property)

from my fha guidelines

1.26.1 Identity-Of-Interest Transactions
· Identity-Of-Interest Transactions:
o A sales transaction between parties with family relationships or business relationships
Restricted to a maximum LTV of 85% on principal residences. However, maximum financing
above 85% LTV is permissible under the following circumstances:
· A family member purchases another family member’s home as a principal residence. If a
property is sold from one family member to another and is the seller’s investment property,
the maximum mortgage is the lesser of either: a) 85% of the appraised value, or b) the
appropriate LTV ratio percentage applied to the sales price, plus or minus required
adjustments. The 85% limit may be waived if the family member has been a tenant in the
property for at least six months immediately predating the sales contract. Must provide
documentation for verification.
· An employee of a builder purchases one of the builder’s new homes or models as a
principal residence.
· A current tenant purchases the property that he or she has rented for at least six months
immediately predating the sales contract, (a lease or other written evidence must be
submitted to verify occupancy).
· A corporation transfers an employee to another location, purchases that employee’s
home, and then sells the home to another employee.
Retired Lender
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.