Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Loan info

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA Loan info

He's never bought a home before so why wouldn't he qualify?
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I'd like to know why he wouldn't qualify either?  Nothing I read on this thread indicated he wouldn't unless you are referring to the time it will take to close on a home based on todays date....
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

He will not qualify because you can not buy the property from a relative and qualify for the credit.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never heard that you can't buy from a relative. I thought as long as you bought a house,no matter who you bought it from,you would qualify for the first time homebuyer tax credit. He has an appointment with a loan officer today so he will find out for sure,I guess.

ETA: What if the relative is deceased? Our grandpa died in 2006. His wife  lived there until her death back in May. Would that make a difference?

Message Edited by Schelle70 on 10-15-2009 09:32 AM
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, the IRS specifically rules out buying from relatives.  That prevents people from "swapping" houses just to get 8K credits.  It also is in acknoweldgement that most homes sold between are not at retail price so the buyer is already getting a break in most cases.

As far as death, I am not sure.  If it is still under his "estate" then it probably is a no go.  If the house has been transfered to someone elses name than you MIGHT be OK.

As far as asking the LO, you need to call the IRS and ask them and have all the current info (who's name the home is in now, etc).  A LO rarely knows the minute details, just the general guidelines.  Any decent LO will tell you to call and verify through the IRS.  Anyone who tells you that you are good to go, does not want to risk loosing the sale by giving you a maybe.  They are not the ones out $ if down the road the credit is not approved.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, if the IRS happens to say he qualifies... which I doubt he does... he would only qualify for a credit of $3,950... the lesser of $8k or 10% of purchase price.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.