Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Low Appraisal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA Low Appraisal

Sometimes sellers price them higher than they know theyll appraise for because they dont have enough equity to lower it (turning it into a short sale). It might be helpful to know when they purchased the home and for what price.
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mkdelight wrote:

We were pre-approved for a FHA mortgage but the appraisal came in $25,000 less than the contact price. Any suggestions or options.

Thanks

Same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago. $135K selling price and appraisal came back at $110K. Seller's would not drop price and even had the nerve to suggest that I find another lender to get financing through (and tried to keep my escrow $$ because I refused to do so). That condo just sold, a couple of months ago, for $109K.  

If I were you I'd see if the sellers would drop the price to the appraisal amount. If not...I'd Walk. It would be in your best interest IMO.  

Message 12 of 18
spuhrmann

One of my employees was selling a house and the appraisal came in 5K below offer.  Instead of taking the 5K hit and accepting the fact that the house was over-priced he let them walk.  Now he is 3 mortgage payments in on a house his family has moved out of and in the end he will still only get the original appraised value out of it.  It is almost always in the sellers best interest to cast out their ego and take the appraised value.
Message 13 of 18
mkdelight

It was purchased about 10 years ago for half what it is valued know.
Message 14 of 18
mkdelight

The seller dropped his price $25,000 to the appraisal price.

Thanks all.

Message 15 of 18
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to revive this thread, but holy crap! I hope the seller of my house will do this if it comes in low. I'm very afraid it will.

Starting: EQ: 490 TU: ??? EX: ???
Current: EQ: 717 TU: 757 EX: 736 (lender)
Goal: 800+
=============
Amex: Zync, Gold Delta
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 16 of 18
Booner72
Senior Contributor

My appraisal actually came back 7k higher than the agreed on price.  I was told that they randomly pick who the appraiser is these days, and that the lender is not even allowed to talk to the appraiser. 

Good Luck!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 17 of 18
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

For ethical reasons I'm glad this is the way it is. In my case I see two situations.

1) The home comes back appraised high and we are all happy.

2) The home comes back low, the seller refuses to pay the 5k closing costs and we eat the difference

3) The home appraises low, the seller refuses to pay closing costs and negotiates the difference

These are pretty much the only two options I see... So basically I need to make sure another 5k is available in my bank account to compensate for these closing costs he is likely no longer going to be paying for me. The home was listed at 220k so we offered him 220k he pays 5k and he came back with 225k he pays 5k. He just amazingly offered to get the termites fixed as well as some repairs on the roof and a fixture in the bathroom. I seriously doubt he is going to eat 5-10k more in appraisal losses at this point considering I think he's borderline about to lose money on his investment.

Starting: EQ: 490 TU: ??? EX: ???
Current: EQ: 717 TU: 757 EX: 736 (lender)
Goal: 800+
=============
Amex: Zync, Gold Delta
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.