Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Mortgage Insurance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA Mortgage Insurance

Looking at an FHA loan and I know about the .85% mortgage insurance.

Question. Does that mean that as the loan is paid down, that the amount paid in mortgage insurance goes down with the amount owed on the loan going down?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

Re: FHA Mortgage Insurance

I am closing on a FHA loan Tuesday. My understanding of the mortgage insurance is it is for the life of the loan unless you refinance it to a conventional down the road. You will also pay an upfront premium which will be added to your loan, or atleast in my case that is what they have done.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand that it is for the life of the loan, but because it is a percentage of the principal, does that mean the actual dollar amount goes down as you pay the loan down?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The monthly MI payment will remain the same for the life of the loan (unless you put 10% down). The .85% is calculated at the time the home was purchased or refinanced.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Man, that stinks. It seems like to me that they should adjust that based on what you owe.. so .85 each year.. oh well. 

Message 5 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Man, that stinks. It seems like to me that they should adjust that based on what you owe.. so .85 each year.. oh well. 

i hear we might see some changes to fha pmi.....  because it is indeed a ripoff.

i would call it usury but i dont know what govt agents troll this forum

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i hear we might see some changes to fha pmi.....  because it is indeed a ripoff.

i would call it usury but i dont know what govt agents troll this forum

When the politicians do it, they are "helping" us. When private industry does it, the politicians cry foul. Politicians are a scurge on our society.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.