Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Proof of Earnest Money Requirement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA Proof of Earnest Money Requirement

I need to show proof of my first earnest money deposit check for FHA approval.  My bank statement which shows the check clearing on the statement six months ago is on the bank statement but there is a large deposit on the statement which I do not want the underwriter to question or have to show add'l paper trail to show what it is.

What is an acceptable form of proof of earnest money deposit besides providing the bank statement?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA Proof of Earnest Money Requirement

A photocopy of the cancelled check (front and back) is definitive proof that the payment was made.  I'd try that in lieu of the bank statement.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just went through the same thing. FHA may have a form for you and the third party to fill out. FHA wantsto know  where the money came from. They want you to show that you do not have to pay it back if it is a gift. In the event that it is a gift the third party will have to have their bank provide a letter stating that giving you this money will not cause them a hardship. If its not a gift they  want to make sure its taxed if it can be and or make sure your not dealing drugs, ect.
Message 3 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

get a front/back image from bank.

or, the lender can disallow the earnest monies. in which case, you would get it refunded by the title company after close.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.