Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Purchase and reserves

tag
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

FHA Purchase and reserves

For those who have recently closed using FHA, how many months of reserves did you need prior to purchase? I have heard conflicting information over the past few days ranging from 2 months to 6 months.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA Purchase and reserves

That is going to be super lender specific. Personally my lender had no specific reserves requirement.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

For those who have recently closed using FHA, how many months of reserves did you need prior to purchase? I have heard conflicting information over the past few days ranging from 2 months to 6 months.

My lender does not require any reserves for FHA loans. We are also pulling from our 401K for the 3.5% down payment and our lender advised maybe taking more if we wanted to use it for furniture, moving expenses, and other costs. 

If we were going the conventional route, we were told that the down payment would be 3% and we would have to have at least 2 months of the mortgage payment showing as reserves in our bank account. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our lender said one month 

Message 4 of 6
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

Very interesting, I was unaware although the product (FHA) each lender could have such a large variance re: reserves. I spoke with a friend a moment ago and he and his wife are closing on their first home at the end of June. He said his lender advised needing 1 month. He was getting his downpayment from the sale of a spare car they no longer needed.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

Very interesting, I was unaware although the product (FHA) each lender could have such a large variance re: reserves. I spoke with a friend a moment ago and he and his wife are closing on their first home at the end of June. He said his lender advised needing 1 month. He was getting his downpayment from the sale of a spare car they no longer needed.

Things like that tend to be lender overlays, which are additional requirements lenders will have in order to get you approved. Google the FHA Guidelines and you can learn a lot about what is actually required for FHA. From my interpretation on the FHA Guidelines, there are many resources you could use to get your down payment and having the cushion aka reserves is not necessary at all. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.