Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA QUESTION

tag
quagmeyer
Established Member

FHA QUESTION

Looking to apply for an FHA loan in the next one to two months but i also need a new car . Will seeking and getting a car loan hurt my chances of getting approved for a home loan .Very low DTI right now, income 78,000 last year FICO TU 676 FICO EQ 674. AS of 5/6/11. P.S these forums are excellent when i first signed up 1/10/10 my scores were under 500. there is hope out there.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA QUESTION

The general rule is...dont app for ANYTHING close to apping for mortgage. If you absolutely HAVe to you can explain it in the app process, but if you can avoid it, I would.

Message 2 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

DTI is the comparison of your income vs. your debts including the new mortgage payment.  So while you say your DTI is low now, are you also including the projected mortgage payment in that calculation?

Do you know what loan program you are aiming to qualify for, and if a hit to the scores would still make it possible for you to qualify?  Nevermind I just read the title of the post.  With FHA financing a 676 score is fine, but some lenders have a slightly higher interest rate if your scores dip below 660.  As long as they don't fall below 640 you should still have plenty of options.

Is it that your current car is on it's last legs, or is a new car needed for something else (like you need a new car for work/driving clients around, etc.)?

Like networkguy says, if you absolutely need to get the car loan, you can actually have your credit checked by a mortgage lender for pre-approval first, then get the car loan, document the new payment with the note, etc. and it can be added to the application/manually added to automated underwriting so it's taken into consideration.  Some lenders re-check credit prior to closing, for that very same reason (make sure no new debts pop up) and some will use the new scores off of that credit report (majority will use the original scores).  Credit is always re-checked after it's 90 days old (on resale) or 120 days old (if it's new construction property), with the new scores being used.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 7
quagmeyer
Established Member

Thank you for your response. Helpful info, car is about 15 yrs old with about 170,000 miles . Recently had to put in shop for a week , getting fixed and cost of rental to go to work ,and the fact my mechanic told me i should think about gettting a new car has me looking in that direction

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane (dont mean to derail thread!)..on FHA credit is pulled 90 days after closing? What happens if one were to buy a bunch of stuff for the new house on credit and it takes DTI from acceptable to like 60% or something?

Message 5 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It's only re-checked if you haven't closed on your home, it's not checked after you close on your home.  If you buy stuff on your cards before closing, and it pushes your DTI too high, then expect to have issues.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

It's only re-checked if you haven't closed on your home, it's not checked after you close on your home.  If you buy stuff on your cards before closing, and it pushes your DTI too high, then expect to have issues.

OK thats the answer I was expecting. Thank you.

/end derail

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.