cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Requirements

tag
jemilco

FHA Requirements

Does anyone know FHA requirements regarding collection accounts? I know it all depends on what the lender will accept, but are there any general rules?

For example, I have a collection account and a charge off from 5 years ago. In my state this is well outside the statute of limitations, but will they have an effect on the approval process?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA Requirements

If I remember correctly, if the collections are newer than 2 years, they must be paid unless the total sum of all the collections is under $1000. If over 2 years old, then they don't need to be paid. 

Message 2 of 4
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Unless something has changed they rescinded the requirement to pay anything over $1k, but of course this can vary by lender as they can require them to be paid but it's not an FHA requirement. 

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=12-10ml.pdf

Message 3 of 4
jemilco

Thank you both! That is helpful information. 

I didn't want to hijack this other person's post, so commenting on it here instead ... The way the post is written, it sounds like student loans are not considered in the "debt" category per FHA calculations? Can that be true?

Thanks again

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.