Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA & Employment in same line of work

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA & Employment in same line of work

I have a question, does FHA look more at whether you've been steadily employed, vs. say you were in one career for 4 years and then changed to a different job (with no gaps in employment) and then apply....or do they have a rule where you have to be at one job/career for a certain amount of time before you can qualify?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA & Employment in same line of work

I believe they're typically looking for 2+ years at the same job.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question, does FHA look more at whether you've been steadily employed, vs. say you were in one career for 4 years and then changed to a different job (with no gaps in employment) and then apply....or do they have a rule where you have to be at one job/career for a certain amount of time before you can qualify?

Thanks!

As lady said you would need atlest 2 years depending on the difference such as going from a construction worker to doing clerical work.  If your doing clerical work at one company but switch to another company and became a supervisor at another company even if it's not similar depts then that situation may not need 2 years
Message 3 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

You don't have to be at the same job for 2 years.  They are looking to see if you were in the same industry.  If you went to school for your new job then that is counted towards your 2 years.  What is your situation? 

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 7
gps

I applied in late Feb 09 for an FHA mortgage being on my new job for a little less than 2 months. I have 22 years in my same industry. It was no problem at all. In fact, getting this mortgage was easier than my last one in January 08.

My mid-score in Feb 09 was 614 (628 right now)

I'm cleared to close this Thursday, 4/9/09. 30 year, 5%.

Message Edited by gps on 04-07-2009 11:02 AM
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for all the replies.  I am planning on relocating to a different city.  I've been a graphic designer for 4 years, however I thought if I wasn't able to find a job doing graphic design, and took, say a administrative assistant position, would I still qualify for a mortgage since it's a different line of work.
Message 6 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

2 years in the same line of work.

secretary for a flower shop can change jobs and be secretary for a construction firm. this is ok

secretary for a flower shop changes jobs and puts on a hard hat to be construction worker. this is not ok

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.