Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA & charge offs ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA & charge offs ?

I know one must have a clean report for 12months to be approved for FHA...I have a chase acct that was charged off in 2011 & then bought by Midland. If I pay this charge off/collection will it restart my 12months clean history or is it just for open accts in the past 12 months?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA & charge offs ?

If you have a new collection in the past 12 months it counts.

Message 2 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

If applying for a mortgage paying off the debt will not increase your scores. Now if you can have the charge off or collection removed with a PFD that would benefit you. 

If your scores qualify you now for a mortgage I would not address the charge off or collection just yet. Since was charged off in 2011 it is over the 12 month period, so that should not be an issue.  

Take some time and speak with a LO or Broker and be upfront about it. Let them know that you have no issues with paying the charge off or collection, but prefer to pay it off during closing. Just a little reminder that most likely you would not have much negotiation with creditor and would most likely have to pay it in full especially if it is within the SOL.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores won't let me qualify yet, but it's over $1000 and I want to do a FHA loan. It's with Chase/Midland so I'm prolly not going to get a PFD with everything I have read. Wed like to buy this time next year and if I do pay this I will have to pay it off over 6 months...which would make it paid off just shy of 6 months from applyingI it's not a new collection. So if I do pay it off over the next 6 months will it hurt me when I apply in jan 14'?

Message 4 of 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

DO NOT PAY IT OFF, that could lower your score.

When your scores are ready for a home loan, pay off the collection at closing. You wanna take the score hit after you close.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eeeeeeeeek how much would It lower it if I paid it? It's $3600, if I paid it at closing that would be lots of dough I'm shelling out along with closing cost. Sigh.

Message 6 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

If you make payment arrangements then they have the option to report the payments. Only the creditor, collection company can say if they will or wont, but I would not trust anything they say unless it is in writing. If they report it would be new activity and extend your waiting, if they dont report you should be fine pending you qualify with other requirements.

As far as FHA and the charge-off and or collection as long as it is over 12 months old you still have a chance to qualify with-out paying it. If they require you to pay it, then you can pay during closing. 

Start at the rebuilding board and see if they can help you bring up your scores and go from there. 

Good luck

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.