Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA and Collection

tag
swflben
New Visitor

FHA and Collection

Hi all,

I am suppose to close on my first home next month. I have an old collection on my report for $2,500. My lender has seen the collection from the beginning, they just told me that I will be required to pay this prior to closing.

From everything I’ve read, and heard from another mortgage broker — it shouldn’t be an issue as long as the 5% of that doesn’t take me over on DTI.

But the lender is stating anything over $1,999 needs taken care of and if it was less than $1,999 they could use the 5%. Can anyone offer some guidance?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: FHA and Collection

@swflben wrote:
Hi all,

I am suppose to close on my first home next month. I have an old collection on my report for $2,500. My lender has seen the collection from the beginning, they just told me that I will be required to pay this prior to closing.

From everything I’ve read, and heard from another mortgage broker — it shouldn’t be an issue as long as the 5% of that doesn’t take me over on DTI.

But the lender is stating anything over $1,999 needs taken care of and if it was less than $1,999 they could use the 5%. Can anyone offer some guidance?

It depends on what our Automated Underwriting System (AUS) says. It also depends on overlays. If AUS states that if there are collections and the total aggregate is over $2,000, either it must be paid or use 5% of the balance as the payment. This is the verbiage that should be shown in AUS. It might be an overlay for your lender

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 3
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA and Collection

Sounds like your being subject to an additional investor/lender overlay.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.