Established Member
Bamagirl80

FHA and Installment Loans

Hello everyone. I'm planning to purchase a home thru FHA in Feb. and need some advice regarding installment loans. I have a student loan with a balance of $3,000. My payments are $131.00 a month.  I have read that if your remaining bal. on an installment loan is less than 10 payments this figure is not counted in your DTI. I'm really hoping someone can verify this cause,  if so, I'm planning to go above and beyond to get this balance down to around say $1,200 by the end of January-which would make the loan having less than 10 payments owed. This would be huge in helping me to obtain the mortgage I'm wanting. Thank you in advance.

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Re: FHA and Installment Loans

Yes, if you have less than 10 payments remaining then you don't count that into dti!

Good luck!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

Re: FHA and Installment Loans

webhopper wrote:
Yes, if you have less than 10 payments remaining then you don't count that into dti!

Good luck!

OP, this is lender specific. Some lenders will drop off the debt at 10 months, some at 6 months and some won't drop off the debt unless it is paid in full.

I know that Chase requires the account to be paid in full before they won't include it in your DTI ratios.

At least that is the way it is here in Florida.

Ask your prospective lender first to see what their requiremennts are - or go to a mortgage banker that funds their own loans.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}