Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA and Overdrafts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA and Overdrafts

We're about to go to UW and I'm a nervous wreck!  I've been stalling on sending my bank statements to my broker because of a couple overdrafts we've had.  I know, I know, that's bad.  We had 3 OD's on one day in June because suddenly our bank started holding my husband's paycheck for a day before clearing it and of course we had a bunch of auto bill payments pre-scheduled for that day.  The other was in July but that was a simple miscommunication between my husband and I and as soon as I realized, I transferred money over from our other account.  Can I send 60 days worth of transactions rather than the last 2 statements?  It'll still show the one in July but at least it looks better than 4 and I can write a LOE.
The thing I'm extra worried about is that every week we have money automatically transferred to a separate bank account to cover rent, a couple of the bills, etc.  This account is just in my husband's name.  The mortgage is going to be only in my name though.  So when this automatic transfer comes out or the UW sees a transfer back to our main checking account, won't they question where this money is coming from?  I can tell them, but since it's not in my name, I can't really show them.  Will that hurt our chances?
To be honest, this whole house hunting thing caught us completely off guard.  We weren't looking to buy or really preparing for it even but we stumbled on a house, decided to take a chance and here we are!  We just put our notice in on our current place so if this doesn't go through, we'll be begging parents for a few couches in their basements to sleep on.  Had this been a planned thing, we would have made sure our ducks were in a row and our lives looked as good on paper as they do in real life!  Any advice or real life "been there, done that and SURVIVED" stories would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: FHA and Overdrafts

@Anonymous wrote:

We're about to go to UW and I'm a nervous wreck!  I've been stalling on sending my bank statements to my broker because of a couple overdrafts we've had.  I know, I know, that's bad.  We had 3 OD's on one day in June because suddenly our bank started holding my husband's paycheck for a day before clearing it and of course we had a bunch of auto bill payments pre-scheduled for that day.  The other was in July but that was a simple miscommunication between my husband and I and as soon as I realized, I transferred money over from our other account.  Can I send 60 days worth of transactions rather than the last 2 statements?  It'll still show the one in July but at least it looks better than 4 and I can write a LOE.  <= this will not be a problem, especially if you can papertrail it the way you described. but most likely you will just need to write a short letter of explanation
The thing I'm extra worried about is that every week we have money automatically transferred to a separate bank account to cover rent, a couple of the bills, etc.  This account is just in my husband's name.  The mortgage is going to be only in my name though.  So when this automatic transfer comes out or the UW sees a transfer back to our main checking account, won't they question where this money is coming from?  I can tell them, but since it's not in my name, I can't really show them.  Will that hurt our chances?  <= no. spouse just writes a letter saying the borrower has access to those funds. we do this all off the time
To be honest, this whole house hunting thing caught us completely off guard.  We weren't looking to buy or really preparing for it even but we stumbled on a house, decided to take a chance and here we are!  We just put our notice in on our current place so if this doesn't go through, we'll be begging parents for a few couches in their basements to sleep on.  Had this been a planned thing, we would have made sure our ducks were in a row and our lives looked as good on paper as they do in real life!  Any advice or real life "been there, done that and SURVIVED" stories would be appreciated!

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA and Overdrafts

Hello pjarchambeau, I closed on my new construction on August 5, I had a few OD, but my loan officer and processor never said anything about it. They was more concerned about the available funds that I needed to close on my loan. I think you will be ok.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.