Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA and possible to exclude a debt?

tag
cship10
Regular Contributor

FHA and possible to exclude a debt?

Hi All, 

Quick question in regards to FHA financing. I am looking to apply for FHA with out my partner being on the home loan - His credit has a long ways to go and we are tired of renting. I work in the car business and leased a vehicle for him - he makes the payments but in order to qualify for the employee discount and lease rates it had to be leased in my name. I was speaking with someone recently who said that it could be exluded from my DTI with showing 12 months of payments coming from someone else. Is this true? And the only other question is - the previous lease was up and got a new one in November for him - will that restart the 12 month clock if it is possible to exlude it?

As well, I have a strong base income plus comission. How will the underwriter determine what my income is? I have 7 years in the business but just this past year have more than doubled my income by taking on a promotion.

Thank you for your assistance! 

BK discharged 10/7/2014
Current Scores MyFico TU: 753 EQ: 773 EX: 668
Cards: NFCU CashRewards 48000 | NFCU Flagship 32000| Huntington Voice 18,000 | Citi AA 33,000 |BB&T 4500 | Cap1 V 33500 | Sony 7000 | TVA Employee CU 10,000 | WF Propel 15000 | Sync BananaR Visa 10,000 | DCU Visa 15000 | Overstock 11800 | Sync Lowes 25000 | Sync AE 7000 | Sync Amazon 10,000 | Sync Belk 10000 | NFCU CLOC 15,000 | Citi Costco 9,700 | First Bank 8000 | Bestbuy Visa 10,000 | HomeDepot 5000 | BBVA CP 10000 | Macy's Store 11,300 |
Installments WF Mortgage $257k | Y-12 FCU HELOC 16,000 | Mercedes-Benz Lease | Mercedes-Benz Lease | DCU Auto Loan

AAoA 3 yrs 7 M
TONS of Inquires :-p
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: FHA and possible to exclude a debt?

@cship10 wrote:

Hi All, 

Quick question in regards to FHA financing. I am looking to apply for FHA with out my partner being on the home loan - His credit has a long ways to go and we are tired of renting. I work in the car business and leased a vehicle for him - he makes the payments but in order to qualify for the employee discount and lease rates it had to be leased in my name. I was speaking with someone recently who said that it could be exluded from my DTI with showing 12 months of payments coming from someone else. Is this true? And the only other question is - the previous lease was up and got a new one in November for him - will that restart the 12 month clock if it is possible to exlude it?

As well, I have a strong base income plus comission. How will the underwriter determine what my income is? I have 7 years in the business but just this past year have more than doubled my income by taking on a promotion.

Thank you for your assistance! 

does that car blow up the dti?

1. yes, prove they pay and it doesnt go against dti.( i think this is still the case. i cant verify at the moment )

2. i think a loan officer could make the argument that the old lease and the new lease are a continuation.... so no start over

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 4
cship10
Regular Contributor

Yes, it puts me at 36% dti front end. With out it I am at 14% dti front end. half of my car payment is reimbursed but still included the full amount in my dti as I know they will include all of it. 

My my next question is how will they calculate my income if I am salary and commission? This past year my income shot up from around 50K to pushing 90K and this year will easily break 110k. Do they take into consideration promotions when considering past income for mortgage qualifications? My base has double and my commission has shot up as well.

BK discharged 10/7/2014
Current Scores MyFico TU: 753 EQ: 773 EX: 668
Cards: NFCU CashRewards 48000 | NFCU Flagship 32000| Huntington Voice 18,000 | Citi AA 33,000 |BB&T 4500 | Cap1 V 33500 | Sony 7000 | TVA Employee CU 10,000 | WF Propel 15000 | Sync BananaR Visa 10,000 | DCU Visa 15000 | Overstock 11800 | Sync Lowes 25000 | Sync AE 7000 | Sync Amazon 10,000 | Sync Belk 10000 | NFCU CLOC 15,000 | Citi Costco 9,700 | First Bank 8000 | Bestbuy Visa 10,000 | HomeDepot 5000 | BBVA CP 10000 | Macy's Store 11,300 |
Installments WF Mortgage $257k | Y-12 FCU HELOC 16,000 | Mercedes-Benz Lease | Mercedes-Benz Lease | DCU Auto Loan

AAoA 3 yrs 7 M
TONS of Inquires :-p
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

If the car lease is only in your name then it'll be included in your DTI.  To exclude it, it'd have to be a joint account and the other account holder would need to make the payments for the past 12 months solely from an account in their name.  Is it only in your name or is it a joint account with your partner?

What do you mean that half your car payment is reimbursed?  Do you mean your employer pays you that as income?

Your current salary will qualify, for commission income a 24-month average is used (total commissions over the past 24 months divided by 24 months = monthly amount).

Front end DTI = the new housing payment.  A 31% front end DTI should have no problem qualifying for any program other than maybe a USDA loan.

Back end DTI = the new housing payment + your other debts.

Did you mean to say that with the lease payment, your current debts are 31% of your income?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.