Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA changing guidelines on deferred student loans - 6/15/15

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA changing guidelines on deferred student loans - 6/15/15

Back again.

I have pulled the trigger.  Had my credit checked and got a prequal letter.  I have looked at 8 homes so far and will be looking at another 3 tomorrow.  Anyone else looking, close to closing or close as yet with the short deadline that we have.  FYI my lender says I need to have everything wrapped up by 9/12.   Anyone know what to do if the case number I receive falls throught AFTER 9/14 due to inspection or anything quirkly?   Will I just be SOL? 

Godspeed to all!

Message 41 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Back again.

I have pulled the trigger.  Had my credit checked and got a prequal letter.  I have looked at 8 homes so far and will be looking at another 3 tomorrow.  Anyone else looking, close to closing or close as yet with the short deadline that we have.  FYI my lender says I need to have everything wrapped up by 9/12.   Anyone know what to do if the case number I receive falls throught AFTER 9/14 due to inspection or anything quirkly?   Will I just be SOL? 

Godspeed to all!

Date is based on obtaining an FHA case number. Case number can be ordered as soon as you have a contract regardless of inspection or anything else. 

Message 42 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

So this new rule totally screwed us over today. our loan officer didnt know about it and we got our contract signed yesterday, had we known in advance we would have done it on sunday.

Does anyone know if we put 1 of our many student loans into repayment, could that then be used as the number for the debt to ratio? Our loans are in defferment, and we will be on IBR. However our servicer  which is the William D. Ford program, they will not issue a statement estimating our future payment. They offered a 3 way conference call but nothing in writing.  So i am wondering if we put one of our loans into repayment, can that be used as the required monthly payment

Message 43 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So this new rule totally screwed us over today. our loan officer didnt know about it and we got our contract signed yesterday, had we known in advance we would have done it on sunday.

Does anyone know if we put 1 of our many student loans into repayment, could that then be used as the number for the debt to ratio? Our loans are in defferment, and we will be on IBR. However our servicer  which is the William D. Ford program, they will not issue a statement estimating our future payment. They offered a 3 way conference call but nothing in writing.  So i am wondering if we put one of our loans into repayment, can that be used as the required monthly payment

Yes, look into graduated repayment. Starts off with a lower payment and gradually increases. For the loan's sake, you can use the low starting payment. If IBR will give you a payment other than 0, that will work too.

Message 44 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

We do qualify for IBR, th eissue is timing. It will take the student loan department 30-60 days, and based on past experience , 60 days to certify the new payment type. If we just take one of our smaller loans and come out of defferment for it , it would generate a bill almost immediatly. We had IBR a few years ago but went back to school so went to defferement for past two years already. to Recert and request the new IBR it would take longer , potentially causing us to loose the house .

Message 45 of 95
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, look into graduated repayment. Starts off with a lower payment and gradually increases. For the loan's sake, you can use the low starting payment. If IBR will give you a payment other than 0, that will work too.

Whats crazy is that USDA is totally different or FHA has grey area . USDA handbook is they need a loan that has fixed payments that do not change. I really thought FHA would follow this dumb unrealistic track but as for now they seem to not do that which is good.

Here it is on page 233 of the USDA HB-1-3555 handbook.

 Student loans. Lenders must include the greater of one percent of the outstanding loan balance or the verified fixed payment as reflected on the credit report. Exception: Monthly payment amounts listed on the credit report, which are less than one percent of the outstanding balance may be used when evidence from the loan servicer is obtained indicating; 1)the applicant is on a fixed repayment plan not subject to change under the terms of the current agreement and 2) and the monthly payment amount due. Fixed payments have a monthly amount that is not subject to change through the fixed repayment time frame. Income Based Repayment (IBR) plans, graduated plans, adjustable rates, interest only and deferred plans are examples of repayment plans that are subject to change and do not qualify for the exception. No additional documentation is required if a credit report is obtained and the lender can confirm the payment represented is a fixed payment as noted in this paragraph.

FHA's rule states

4) Calculation of Monthly ObligationThe Mortgagee must use the actual monthly payment to be paid on a deferred liability, whenever available.If the actual monthly payment is not available for installment debt, the Mortgagee must utilize the terms of the debt or 5 percent of the outstanding balance to establish the monthly payment.For a student loan, if the actual monthly payment is zero or is not available, the Mortgagee must utilize 2 percent of the outstanding balance to establish the monthly payment.

So it seems as of now FHA is still more lenient if you can get the cheapest payment possible that is greater than zero you are ok. Which is dumb as you can get a 1 dollar payment and still qualify.

Bottom line is neither wants to see deferred or a zero IBR payment. 

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 46 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit: Yep CreditGuy, FHA does not require that student loan payment remain fixed. Or at least there is no specific verbiage in the guidelines.

Message 47 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

This might be even worse for student than planned because for example for us we are going on IBr and coming out of deferement but you can not come out of early deferement on SUb and unsub loans. You have to wait the grace period on those loans, so you would have to drop out and wait 6 months, go into IBR repayment and then hope for the FHA. Our services will not issue an estimated payment for IBR, not sure if all servicers are the same .
Message 48 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question,   I started building a home back in May and I am closing on October 12th,  my lender gave the builder my commitment letter back when they started and I have already paid the down payment. I have quite a bit of student loans from my doctorate, since I already have a commitment letter and everything will this new rule change apply to me in regards to student loans?

Message 49 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think if you can have your student loan servicer provide a letter stating what your payment will be, that will suffice for a lender.

Message 50 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.