Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA closing costs paid by seller

tag
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

FHA closing costs paid by seller

I'm getting the First time homebuyer assistance which gifts us 3% for down payment and FHA requires 3.5% down so that takes care of most of that.  Smiley Happy They also gift us 3% for closing costs.  If the closing costs are more than 3%, I've seen that some people will ask the seller to pay.   When is it brought up with the seller that the buyer is asking them to pay for closing costs?  Thanks!

myFICO starting TU 683 8/26/11
myFICO starting EQ 645 8/26/11
myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
luvsandyshores
Regular Contributor

Re: FHA closing costs paid by seller

It was written into my offer.

CH13 confirmed 1/2016
Message 2 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

In your initial offer you ask the seller to pay however much - it is negotiated like the sale price.  Good Luck!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 7
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Haha OK thanks! That's what I thought! Smiley Tongue  I think I'm going a little crazy waiting to finally be able to apply. 

myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 4 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

have your lender work up the numbers first.....

if you have the seller pay $2000 in closing costs and they only end up being $500...... the seller keeps the rest.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 7
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Seriously! That's crazy!
@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

have your lender work up the numbers first.....

if you have the seller pay $2000 in closing costs and they only end up being $500...... the seller keeps the rest.

myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 6 of 7
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Not crazy at all - it is their money which they are covering the costs for your loan

you cannot get cash back so it has to go back to the seller.

Most people do not care since they prefer to not have to come out of pocket - of course they try to get it as close as possible since the extra is potential dollars which you could offer less for a property (same net to the seller)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.