Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA how to sell fast when comps eat equity

tag
eyesopen
Valued Member

FHA how to sell fast when comps eat equity

I see a bad moon aris'n and I need advise to minimize the damage.  Thanking you in advance for reading and any thoughtful consideration. 

I'm losing my job soon and I have a serious illness that eventually spells long term disability. It's a race against time and time is winning.  I have to move to find employment and I need to unload this house asap. I've never been late on my payments and now I guess I should prepare to see my beautiful FICO scores tank. (813EQ / 830TU)

Purchased in June, 2009
FHA 5.5%
Original Loan:  $235
Balance is about  $213,800 (approximate/not payoff)
ZEstimate is $213,500 and comps are between $200k – 229k (for homes with very appealing upgrades)

I talked to a couple of agents who advise a minimum of $10k to get ready for market and list higher ($230's?).
But then I'd be facing low offers and point negotiations because of the comps. Plus I'd have to put the 10k on my credit card and don't think that's a smart option. 

If I'm lucky I might get $220-225k with superficial upgrades ($3-5K in cosmetic work). That's kind of standard and maybe negotiate 3k toward closing, with no additional repairs and no points.  If it sells for the mortgage payoff amount, but short on the agent commissions, will it still be considered a short sale? 

With just the note + 11% commission I'd have to start listing at $237k and that's the absolute max I could ever dream of getting with the local comps. It will sit on the market at that price and I'll be dropping the price 5k in 2-3 months; and another 5k at the end of the summer. Been watching the listings and that's the trend.  I lose the 10k right out of the gate and start sinking further immediately.  

So is this a short sale no matter what I do?   Here's a big one: Should I let it default and head for the hills? 

A lot of speculation here but that's all I've got.   My brain is dead and I'm not in the game.

So what do the smart people say?

PS. The story gets worse. The neighbor 2 doors down is selling a similar floor plan with all the swanky upgrades this summer. He was advised to list at $239 (For Sale By Owner) but his mortgage is paid off and he can negotiate whatever he wants. It could work in my favor if he sells at that price, but I don't think he can do that without an agent. 

And the neighbor next door is planning to move this summer and ...rent. 
This is a sad story. 
Time for a beer.

Starting Score: 647
Current Score: 813 - 830
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA how to sell fast when comps eat equity

I came in and pulled up a stool with Eyesopen when he said-

"Should I let it default and head for the hills? "

Man I dunno.  You have a family?

Message 2 of 19
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry for your circumstances.

Can you find someone to rent it?
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 19
eyesopen
Valued Member

No. No family.  That's good news. Would hate to drag anyone I loved through this.

But thanks for stopping by.

(Ironically ... the employer is the 2nd largest healthcare company that just agreed to pay for 87 million members' identity theft protection... and gives the right foot of fellowshi*  to anyone looking at long term disability.)

Message 4 of 19
eyesopen
Valued Member

Thank you for the suggestion. 

Renting will cost more in the long run than a short sale.  Crazy huh? I ran the numbers and it has to do with taxes, insurance and property management.

Message 5 of 19
eyesopen
Valued Member

Maybe the better question is: How do real estate agents get paid in a short sale?  Is it the same percentage? 

If I sell it myself and pay the lion's share of the loan balance, can I refi the rest under a different loan progam? (Fat chance - but willing to throw it out there.)

Message 6 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I'd get better than forum advice personally, but it does depend on what state you live in: some states are non-recourse states and in those if you haven't ever taken cash out of the house you can hand the keys to the lender and walk and there's no repercussions other than losing whatever equity you have in the home (which doesn't sound applicable here).

If you're stuck in a recourse state, I'd try like hell to get it sold before I let it burn... if you're underwater on your mortgage currently there may be some sweetheart deals available via a vis HARP or otherwise which might buy you some breathing room but I honestly don't know enough to advise on that; rent in many places may be higher, and given my financial situation I'd rather lose some money in the short term to keep the credit report clean in the longer run but your time horizons and finances might not permit it.  Might even be worth looking into BK options if you're that stuck, but again professional advice is recommended.

        
Message 7 of 19
eyesopen
Valued Member

Thanks Revelate. I've never heard of a recource state - I'm not in one unfortunately but it does give me more to consider.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/what-is-a-recourse-state.html#sthash.btsRwKGh.dpuf

I was hoping to hear how others might handle this scenaro.  I'm not exactly underwater. The comps keep dropping and my property value keeps dropping at the same time. I don't see where any local sales are in excess of the comps. That's as far as I can go at the moment unless I shell out more cash on a lawyer.

I think I can get the mortgage balance. I'm willing to eat the 5k (+/-) to get it cleaned up for market.  And I can cover closing fees ($2500) if they're not padded with the loan company's fees.  What I can't get is; loan balance + agent commission + points/closing types of negotiations.

I'm starting to think I should try FSBO and see if anyone wants the property as-is. It's not like I trashed the place. It's a decent house and has a great backyard. 

You got me thinking. 

Appreciate the insight. 

Message 8 of 19
Glenn_S
Contributor

Don't rely on Zillow for comps. They state the home we are buying is only worth 184,000 but it appraised at 202,000. Get a real valuation and make your decisions based on that.

Starting Score: 617 on 1/2009
March 2015 Scores (Lender Pulled-Mortgage): TU: 733, EQ: 719 EX: 789
MyFico Score August 2023: 845;

Message 9 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Shop your Realtor services too. An 11% commission sounds very high to me. Get a Realtor that can gives you an honest assessment of the market. Get several realtors to give you the comps and the reasons why these comps are used for your valuation. Something really sounds off to me, but I don't know your market.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.