Established Contributor
CreditDrama85

FHA, huh?

what are the requirements to refinance via FHA? doesn't the property have to be in excellent condition or something ? i think that's why i avoided this the first time around BUT i need a better rate, so i may need to go that route...
Established Contributor
nicemann

Re: FHA, huh?

No the home doesn't have to be in excellent condition but it must be in good condition and all of the major items working (ie roof, a/c, etc)

Here is a list of the FHA Loan Qualifications

• You will need to have 2 years of steady employment. Not necessarily by the same employer but it is preferred.
  • Your income should be similar or increasing for the past 2 years.
  • You should have less than two 30 day periods of late payments on your credit reports.
  • If you have declared bankruptcy, then it must be at least 2 years old and you will have to have good credit since then.
  • Foreclosures will also need to be older than 3 years and have good credit since then.
  • Mortgage payment should be about 30% of your gross income.
  • As of 04/23/2011 - 731 for EQ FICO
    As of 03/02/2012 - 779 for TU FICO
    As of 12/2010 - 720 - 729 For EX (Chase FICO Score Provided by EX)
    Regular Contributor
    sh9730

Think this is a REFINANCE - My understanding (not an expert) is that if you have an FHA loan now, and want to streamline refinance it (i.e. no cash out and the rate will be LOWER than what you have now) they normally dont pull credit or anything. 

I am not sure about a new appraisal though?  I dont think they do it as the idea of the streamline is to lower the risk to FHA on a loan they are already insuring, so obviously a lower rate and payment represents less risk to them so they make it very easy to do!  Again, no cash out though!

Super Contributor
    ShanetheMortgageMan

CreditDrama85 wrote:
    what are the requirements to refinance via FHA? doesn't the property have to be in excellent condition or something ? i think that's why i avoided this the first time around BUT i need a better rate, so i may need to go that route...

The property does have to be in good shape - but doesn't have to be in excellent condition, just "average" (per the appraisal).  Do you think your home might not meet required standards?  If so, why not?
    Established Contributor
    CreditDrama85

[ Edited ]
    because of the gutters and the roof! i would probably need to have work done on that b4 i went FHA....also when going FHA do you apply with a prime lender like BOA or Wells Fargo and then they begin the process OR do you do something else?

Message Edited by CreditDrama85 on 04-14-2008 09:07 AM
    Super Contributor
    ShanetheMortgageMan

What is wrong with the gutters and the roof?  Are they in disrepair?

You would apply first with a lender before ordering the appraisal or anything.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
    FICO Score - The Score that matters
    Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
    Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
    FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+