Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA lender recommendation??

tag
mlb2009
Established Member

FHA lender recommendation??

Can anyone provide the name(s) of FHA lenders that would accept my qualifications? I've been doing TONS of research on guidelines, my scores, etc. My husband and I want to sell our current home within the next few months, and purchase a new one that will cost $150k-$180k. Ficos: EQ 576, TU 582. DTI ratio with current mortgage: 33%. 6+ years work history with same employer. Downpayment funds available: 10-14%.

Starting Score: (5/2012) EQ 576 TU 582
Current Score: (2/2013) EQ 676
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA lender recommendation??

@mlb2009 wrote:
Can anyone provide the name(s) of FHA lenders that would accept my qualifications? I've been doing TONS of research on guidelines, my scores, etc. My husband and I want to sell our current home within the next few months, and purchase a new one that will cost $150k-$180k. Ficos: EQ 576, TU 582. DTI ratio with current mortgage: 33%. 6+ years work history with same employer. Downpayment funds available: 10-14%.

Your going to have to get your scores up.  Some lenders advertise they do down to 580 but depending on your EX score you may not even have that and that's the bare minimum by FHA guidelines.  Most lenders won't go below 620 with a lot having 640 as the bottom.  With you being at best a 582 middle the new INQ alone on the loan app is going to drop you below minimum score.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your going to have to up the scores a good bit before it's possible. 

Message 2 of 9
mlb2009
Established Member

If I pay off 90% of my revolving debt in one month, how long will it take for my scores to reflect it?

Message 3 of 9
ReBuild-OH17
New Contributor

You will need to find out when the cc company reports to the credit bureaus. Check the cc forum on here. Its very helpful. Goodluck!

Message 4 of 9
mlb2009
Established Member

Thank you!

Message 5 of 9
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

I think it is better if you show a consistent payoff history. On MyFico there are simulations you can run to see if you pay your cards off in a certain amount of time the different ways your score will look. There may be also other things keeping your score down as well.

05/12: approx 680 across the board
04/08 EQ: 730 TU: 748 EX: 718
03/08: EQ: 713 TU: ? EX: ?
12/07: EQ: 689 TU: 711 EX: 721
Message 6 of 9
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@techgirl wrote:

I think it is better if you show a consistent payoff history. On MyFico there are simulations you can run to see if you pay your cards off in a certain amount of time the different ways your score will look. There may be also other things keeping your score down as well.

That will help but what is really keeping your scores down?  Lots of lates, collections, judgements, and liens can all be deal breakers depending on the details.  What kind of derogs do you have?

Message 7 of 9
mlb2009
Established Member

I only have a few lates that were almost a year ago. I don't have any collections, judgements, leins, etc. I've got one cc with a $5k balance...my other 4 cards have been paid off. I also have student loans with Sallie Mae and a car payment each month. Not sure why my scores are so low.

Message 8 of 9
sherakay
Valued Member

"only a few lates"??? That would be it right there. And in the last year?? Lates show for 7 years. Not only is it dragging your score down, but an UW will wonder why you were late. Either you aren't managing your payments or you can't afford them. Either way, doesn't look good when you want to buy a home. Best way to raise your scores is NEVER be late EVER again. That's it!

Also, that 5k CC, what's the limit? If you're using more than 30%, I'd get it down. The only thing that can really help you now is to do those things, and time.

Starting Score: Walmart myfico 664 TU Lender Pull 690 EQ Lender Pull 669
Current Score: Walmart myfico 698 TU Equifax- 686 Experian- 692 Transunion- 700 Lender Pull 7/18/12
Goal Score: 720

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.