Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA limits

tag
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

FHA limits

If my limit is 271k can I buy a house that cost 285k if I pay the difference as a down payment? Or does that mean max home I can buy is $271?

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: FHA limits

You can pay the difference.  The limit is the loan limit, not the limit to the purchase price.  So long as you're putting at leaset 3.5% down, and you are under the loan limit, you are ok.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 2 of 8
creditisbetter2
Contributor

@Student_Loans_Kill wrote:
If my limit is 271k can I buy a house that cost 285k if I pay the difference as a down payment? Or does that mean max home I can buy is $271?
Also depending on which builder/lender you deal with, they can increase your limit a little. I don't know the specifics on that but one lender we were looking at said they could do that for us because a home we were looking for was 280k and our limit was 271k. Now just because the house is 285 doesn't mean you pay the asking price. Say you offer 275k and they accept, they can roll that additional amount into the loan and you won't have to come out of pocket with any extra.
Message 3 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@creditisbetter2 wrote:

Also depending on which builder/lender you deal with, they can increase your limit a little. I don't know the specifics on that but one lender we were looking at said they could do that for us because a home we were looking for was 280k and our limit was 271k. Now just because the house is 285 doesn't mean you pay the asking price. Say you offer 275k and they accept, they can roll that additional amount into the loan and you won't have to come out of pocket with any extra.

I think OP is referring to the FHA loan limit for their area, not the amount they have been approved for.  I don't think the builder/lender can increase the FHA loan limit.  Is that what you are saying?

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 4 of 8
creditisbetter2
Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@creditisbetter2 wrote:

I think OP is referring to the FHA loan limit for their area, not the amount they have been approved for.  I don't think the builder/lender can increase the FHA loan limit.  Is that what you are saying?

OH yeah I understood what the op was saying. My FHA loan limit is the same amount. But when I was going through the process, I was told by the particular lender I was dealing with that they could somehow roll more on the back end into the loan so I could purchase more than the fha loan limit and not have to pay more out of pocket. I was merely stating that op doesn't have to let that amount limit him/her and he/she doesn't necessarily have to pay more out of pocket.
Message 5 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@creditisbetter2 wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@creditisbetter2 wrote:

OH yeah I understood what the op was saying. My FHA loan limit is the same amount. But when I was going through the process, I was told by the particular lender I was dealing with that they could somehow roll more on the back end into the loan so I could purchase more than the fha loan limit and not have to pay more out of pocket. I was merely stating that op doesn't have to let that amount limit him/her and he/she doesn't necessarily have to pay more out of pocket.

Interesting.  I didn't realize that. 

Message 6 of 8
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

I have never heard of that either. Before the high loan limits were restored back in Nov 2011, we thought we were going to be stuck with a loan limit about $20k lower than the FHA loan we needed and our lender said there was nothing that could be done.... if we wanted FHA, we would simply have to put more down to bring our loan amount within the limits.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 7 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@creditisbetter2 wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@creditisbetter2 wrote:

did that loan actually close?

i have never heard of what you are talking about and have been doing fha since 2004

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.