Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA loan and rehab student loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA loan and rehab student loan

I defaulted on a federal student loan.  I entered a rehab program in June 2008.  It required 9 months of on-time payments, but that time came and went long ago and no lender was found to pick up the loan.  It's been over a year and a half and since I'm still in the rehab program, I'm technically still in default even though I pay monthly.

So, my question is - if I don't have enough for conventional but have the scores/down payment necessary for FHA, is this going to be a deal breaker?  Do they care about the fact that no lender has been found?  My only alternative is to consolidate, which is going to ding my fico scores...

The SL guarantor offered to write a letter, but if the FHA rules are firm, it looks like I'm stuck.  I should have been rehabbed this time last year.  Smiley Sad  Then they said October at the latest.  Now they're saying maybe by May.  Meanwhile, realistically I can only come up with 10% down and scores are 651 and 689, so conventional is out of reach.

Message Edited by helplessintn on 03-01-2010 03:25 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA loan and rehab student loan

FHA has a 3.5% option - i don't know what to tell you about the rest!  You should be able to find resources for your specific state. 
Message Edited by mauve on 03-03-2010 01:31 PM

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA loan and rehab student loan

@mauve wrote:
FHA has a 3.5% option - i don't know what to tell you about the rest!  You should be able to find resources for your speific state. 

Thanks for responding. 

Has anyone else seen this scenario?  Is it useless to apply until a lender is found for my rehab student loan?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.