cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA loan approval student loans in collections.

tag
jaypeedee
New Contributor

FHA loan approval student loans in collections.

I did recently write about this, but I had a different question arise.  My wife has student loans in collections and I thought she had come to an agreement with them for repayment.  However, she clarified that the collection agency(Coast) wanted $700/month.  This is not a realistic amount for us to pay.  She instead authorized them to charge a much lower amount to her credit card.  

We are working toward getting a mortgage and realistically an FHA mortgage is our best option.  Due to the low down payment requirement.  I now understand that a federal student loan in poor standing will likely affect our ability to get a mortgage through the FHA.  

Question is should we try for rehabbing the loan?  Is this an option? Or do we need work out something with the collection agency?  Is the current letter we received stating the amount they are charging her card an "agreement" showing our intent to pay the loan/debt? 

Starting Score: 604
Current Score: TU-632!-4/11/12
USAA CCMP:TU592 EQ574 EX592 UPDATED 3/19/12

Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: FHA loan approval student loans in collections.

It is much better for your wife to rehab the loan.

Go to the student loan section for information on rehabbing her loans http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Student-Loans/bd-p/studentloans

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.