Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA loan question

tag
vizon
Regular Contributor

FHA loan question

Hey guys, I have been living in an apartment that is so expensive and draining, for a comparable home I would save over $500 even after utilities!

The issue is my income isn't provable. MY credit score is a little lower than 700 which I expect to get better by march (several new accounts including a car loan will age 1yr). IT will be around 690-700 at that time. I want to get an FHA loan. My dad on the other hand has the money but not the credit worthyness (he makes approx $200,000+).

My dad said he may have a tax liens as well. I own a business and in my office building an appriasal company owner and I had talked about this. He called his dad who has been a loan officer for decades and his dad thinks I can get an FHA loan with my dad cosigning.

He said he knows for a fact he saw a similar situation a year and a half ago, they used the primary (occupant) persons credit and a cosigner (non-occupant) for income. The co-signer wouldn't be living in the property, so they wouldn't be on the deed, meaning the co-signer's obligations would not become my own.

I have no negative credit history except for a 3 year old 30 day late (total mistake). My credit util is probably 20% and decreasing. 

If you all have more insight, I would love to know before I get too excited. $500 a month more in savings would be lovely!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA loan question

I haven't heard what your saying to be true. As far as I know for FHA loans and any loan for that matter, the cosigner also has to meet the minimum credit score requirement for the loan, as well as the applicant, in order for the cosigner's income to qualify you for more house.

I'll let others chime in their thoughts.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 20
violetsmom
Regular Contributor

As far as I know, anyone applying for a mortgage loan will need to have proper credit.  No way around it.

Message 3 of 20
OilFieldEngineer
Contributor

Also they take the lowest middle score out of your's and the co-signer's and I believe they require 640 but some will go 620. I encountered a similar situation my girlfriend and I are not married but have shared an apartment for 2.5 years. When we applied for the mortgage on the home alot of her old charge offs and late pays have her score below minimum required. We were able to do the loan in just my name but that also meant that I could not use her income so all that happened was we were limitted from 500k pre-approval to 350k. 

I would try to see if you can qualify for FHA if you can provide bank statements and profit and loss statements for the business they may allow the income. Check with a broker and have them pull your credit. If anything you will get more direction and know what sort of steps to take and hurdles you will have. 

I can definately understand the savings from an apartment to a home. We pay 2450 a month in rent for our 3 bedroom apartment and for a 290k house with escrow for tax and insurance the payment is only 2250. 

Current Scores 738 EQ (FICO 02/15) 745 EX (Lender Pull FICO) 768 TU (FICO 02/15)

4% Utilization on 180k Total Available Creditlines

AMEX Platinum - NPSL, AMEX HH - 2.5k, BofA Travel Rewards - 25K, BofA 123 Cash Rewards - 15K, BofA Amex - 15K, Barclay Black Card - 10K, Chase United Club - 9.6K, Chase Sapphire Preferred - 14k, Discover More - 7.5K, Citi Presitge - 20K, Nationwide Bank - 7.5K, Dillard's - 5K, JCP MasterCard - 12K, Capital One Venture - 3K, Capital One Quicksilver - 10k, Wells Fargo - 6K, Lowe's - 10K,
Message 4 of 20
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

1) Yes, you can have a non-occupant co-borrower for an FHA loan.

2) However, as pointed out, he has to qualify for the loan too. His tax liens are a problem, unless he has been making payments on them and can show at least 6 months of on time payments.

3) Can't you prove your income via your tax returns? Or has your accountant been too aggressive?

4) Your father can gift you a large lump sum and you can go to a company like TrustCo that handles portfolio loans for these type of situations. TrustCo is a regional bank. The loan is a conventional loan and not sold on the secondary market. The rate is a good rate too, but the residence has to be a primary (like you want it to be).

Good luck.

Message 5 of 20
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

2) However, as pointed out, he has to qualify for the loan too. His tax liens are a problem, unless he has been making payments on them and can show at least 6 months of on time payments.

3) Can't you prove your income via your tax returns? Or has your accountant been too aggressive?

4) Your father can gift you a large lump sum and you can go to a company like TrustCo that handles portfolio loans for these type of situations. TrustCo is a regional bank. The loan is a conventional loan and not sold on the secondary market. The rate is a good rate too, but the residence has to be a primary (like you want it to be).

Good luck.

+1

Im thinking the problem with the income is it is not provable at all. Possibly cash type of business. Possibly no income at all and seeing what is possible to be done.

Number 4 is an excellent choice, or you can just have your father buy the house cash and you pay him back.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 6 of 20
vizon
Regular Contributor

Lets put it this way, if my dad was financially responsible, he wouldn't have tax liens or bad credit. That's not an option. I can prove my income via bank records but I can show a loss tax wise.
Message 7 of 20
vizon
Regular Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Good luck.

Also, to number one - there is a difference between a co-borrower, and cosigner. A coborrower is on the deed, the cosigner is not. FHA allows both.

Message 8 of 20
OilFieldEngineer
Contributor

You still may be ok I have a side business consulting in my profession and frequently have my accountant "flip the magic swith" to show great losses on the business based on its own expenses which are nothing more than my own to take a loss carry forward from the subchapter S corporation in short I have in the last two year 2010, 2011 income that is either zero or negative on my tax return. 

The loan officer and underwriter is using my bank records and W2 earnings from my primary job for my income because they said I have compensating factors such as assets and reserves. A loan is possible but it is based on other factors.

I still think you can do it on your own part of what they will consider is what you apartment rent is currently. That was also reviewed with mine and if you have never been late the underwriter will consider that information as a track record for basis of repayment. At least this is what they are doing on mine. 

My loan is currently still in underwriting they asked for two conditions which I satisfied already and I am hoping for a clear to close (fingers crossed).

Current Scores 738 EQ (FICO 02/15) 745 EX (Lender Pull FICO) 768 TU (FICO 02/15)

4% Utilization on 180k Total Available Creditlines

AMEX Platinum - NPSL, AMEX HH - 2.5k, BofA Travel Rewards - 25K, BofA 123 Cash Rewards - 15K, BofA Amex - 15K, Barclay Black Card - 10K, Chase United Club - 9.6K, Chase Sapphire Preferred - 14k, Discover More - 7.5K, Citi Presitge - 20K, Nationwide Bank - 7.5K, Dillard's - 5K, JCP MasterCard - 12K, Capital One Venture - 3K, Capital One Quicksilver - 10k, Wells Fargo - 6K, Lowe's - 10K,
Message 9 of 20
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@OilFieldEngineer wrote:

You still may be ok I have a side business consulting in my profession and frequently have my accountant "flip the magic swith" to show great losses on the business based on its own expenses which are nothing more than my own to take a loss carry forward from the subchapter S corporation in short I have in the last two year 2010, 2011 income that is either zero or negative on my tax return. 

The loan officer and underwriter is using my bank records and W2 earnings from my primary job for my income because they said I have compensating factors such as assets and reserves. A loan is possible but it is based on other factors.

I still think you can do it on your own part of what they will consider is what you apartment rent is currently. That was also reviewed with mine and if you have never been late the underwriter will consider that information as a track record for basis of repayment. At least this is what they are doing on mine. 

My loan is currently still in underwriting they asked for two conditions which I satisfied already and I am hoping for a clear to close (fingers crossed).

You still have positive income reporting. The OP has no positive income reporting.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.